Well, Hello To You All...

OK : Here goes:

Hi Everyone and firstly let me say how impressive this site is - Very user friendly.

I've known I'm ADHD for ages, although I'd point out it was actually me who highlighted it to my parents.

I'm 52 and from a pretty middle class UK background. 

When I was younger, any type of non-neurotypical personality was seen as a set of "quirks", as long as it caused no trouble/distruption.

I was incredibly exciteable and never ever (and still haven't) read books.

Teachers and parents didn't consider the interminable chattering, running around and butterfly mind anything to be concerned about.

I was a compliant, outwardy agreeable young boy, so I probably went right under the radar.

For as long as I can remember, I've had the most amazingly clear and cinematic memory - 

Funnily enough, just a few hours ago, I bumped into a guy I was at junior school with, whom I'd not seen for 45 years.

I went on to regail him with at least 10 incidents from our primary school days, in microscopic detail, thinking he'd be wildly impressed/amused and waiting for the same from him.

Wrong......

He (and the rest of the people in the post office) basically stood there aghast: Open-mouthed at the spontaneous tirade of detail.

Anyway, I digress.

After much encouragement from my Dr, I was finally diagnosed ASD1 yesterday.

Admittedly, I've been a bit disappointed by the reaction from my partner and sibling:

Even today, in the liberated, considerate and understanding society we are meant to live in, there was a general sense of "trepidation" about my diagnosis.

That's why I've come here, as I'm sure I'll find people who'll be able to share similar expereinces and offer advice.

Anyway, enough from me, ....I'm incredibly verbose, but I hear that's normal.

Hello to you all and I look forward to hearing from you.

Me

Parents
  • Ha ha yeah, I've been there. My mum  started off OK about the idea that I may have Asperger's, then watched the Chris Packham program and asked me, all concerned, "you do know it's autism, right?" . Yes thanks mum :-) As I have said on here before, I feel we went from relatively relaxation about the idea, to Aspergers = Sherlock, Autism = rain man, overnight!

I still have the sneaking suspicion that she thinks my ready acceptance of it is akin to 'identifying with defective people', though she is too polite to say as much. I don't let it bother me. It is a pleasure to be able to speak to folks who are on the same wavelength, when for years I thought there weren't any! I am also very happy that at the grand old age of 46, I know why I am as I am, and why I am not like everyone else. I am simply wired differently.

I have the memory thing too, btw, but for me it's a photographic memory for numbers. I was a payroll clerk back in 1988 and can still remember names and payroll numbers, also never have to get my visa card out to pay for things on line, because I can remember the number! Also my ability to hyperfocus is legendary and very useful at work (I am a programmer). On the down side, I have terrible face blindness .... and the commute is unbearable due to sensory issues .... you win some, you lose some, I guess!!

• Yeah, that's funny about the face blindness......I have that too.

The main issues I was having was anxiety and depression brought on by a lifetime of untreated ASD: 

This probably led me to becoming much more socially isolated than i should be.

Now, however, I'm much more positive, as I reckon my diagnosis wll introduce me to people with who I can fully identify.

Bring it on I say

• Exactly, it's quite simply a relief to be able to talk to people who know what you're talking about, without you having to explain. 

I was also having severe problems with anxiety, which is what set me off down the road to discovery. I actually thought I was going crazy, or about to have some kind of breakdown. I searched frantically for answers on line ... am I menopausal and this is all hormonal....no, doesn't fit .... is it just severe stress .... some things match but not enough. Then one day I read an article about a woman diagnosed with Aspergers in her 40s and that was it. Oh blimey, that could have been written about me. And suddenly the whole lot dropped into place. The sensory sensitivities, need for routine, my hopeless social skills, face-blindness, uncanny ability to walk into things, photographic memory for numbers .... the list goes on and wow, it explains everything. 

Like you, I feel great for knowing. I figure that now I know I am dealing with anxiety caused by Aspergers, I have a better chance of finding ways to cope than if I was stabbing about in the dark trying to make general anxiety management theories work. And it is so nice to find our tribe, after years of thinking we're the only one :-)

• Exactly, it's quite simply a relief to be able to talk to people who know what you're talking about, without you having to explain. 

I was also having severe problems with anxiety, which is what set me off down the road to discovery. I actually thought I was going crazy, or about to have some kind of breakdown. I searched frantically for answers on line ... am I menopausal and this is all hormonal....no, doesn't fit .... is it just severe stress .... some things match but not enough. Then one day I read an article about a woman diagnosed with Aspergers in her 40s and that was it. Oh blimey, that could have been written about me. And suddenly the whole lot dropped into place. The sensory sensitivities, need for routine, my hopeless social skills, face-blindness, uncanny ability to walk into things, photographic memory for numbers .... the list goes on and wow, it explains everything. 

Like you, I feel great for knowing. I figure that now I know I am dealing with anxiety caused by Aspergers, I have a better chance of finding ways to cope than if I was stabbing about in the dark trying to make general anxiety management theories work. And it is so nice to find our tribe, after years of thinking we're the only one :-)

Children
  • It's great to hear such a positive story like yours. Also, knowing there is a community who identifies with you very closley is very uplifting. I have always felt very much on the periphery of life, but now I feel quite proud to be very much neuro non-typical.....:)