Hi, I'm new to this forum.

Hi, I first found out about the National Autistic Society after my son was diagnosed as on the autistic spectrum at the age of 5. He is now 13. Over the years it gradually began to dawn on me that I also had autistic traits, and recently did some online tests. The results suggest I might have Asperger's syndrome. (I just scored 39 on this website's AQ test.) I am wondering whether it is worth trying to get a diagnosis for myself, considering how hard it was for other family members to accept my son's diagnosis. Also, is it likely that I passed autism on to him?

Parents
  • Welcome first and foremost to the strangest but most helpful place on the planet where we can all be ourselves and not worry about what others think. Where help is the norm and discouragement doesn’t exist. We are all here to help each other.

There is evidence that there is a genetic side to autism as others have probably pointed out and having an autistic parent increases the likelihood. To what extent is not truly known, as for it to be fully known would require 100% diagnosis of the cohort in each study. That said, does it actually matter if one has passed it on or not, as even if one has and allows guilt to come into play, does that achieve anything? The answer is no, it’s really not worth worrying about.

As for whether it’s worth looking at yourself either with self or professional diagnosis that’s an entirely different question and gives rise to a more important questions. Firstly, what use to you would a diagnosis serve? Secondly, what would you do with a diagnosis? Once you have answered those to fundamental questions then the method of diagnosis comes into play, in my personal experience from reading others views and my own actual experience.

• Welcome first and foremost to the strangest but most helpful place on the planet where we can all be ourselves and not worry about what others think. Where help is the norm and discouragement doesn’t exist. We are all here to help each other.

There is evidence that there is a genetic side to autism as others have probably pointed out and having an autistic parent increases the likelihood. To what extent is not truly known, as for it to be fully known would require 100% diagnosis of the cohort in each study. That said, does it actually matter if one has passed it on or not, as even if one has and allows guilt to come into play, does that achieve anything? The answer is no, it’s really not worth worrying about.

As for whether it’s worth looking at yourself either with self or professional diagnosis that’s an entirely different question and gives rise to a more important questions. Firstly, what use to you would a diagnosis serve? Secondly, what would you do with a diagnosis? Once you have answered those to fundamental questions then the method of diagnosis comes into play, in my personal experience from reading others views and my own actual experience.

Children
No Data