Trying to find help..again

Hello All

I am new here today.

I am a 47 year old male and have always struggled with life and felt different but finally realised why 5 years ago when watching a TV programme which led to a formal diagnosis .

I have been prescribed citalopram tabllets which helps a bit .

I have detached myself from family and don't have any friends these days which suits me far better.  

I am feeling really low and emotional which was triggered i think when my mom visited recently as it reminded  me of  my isolation from them and that they wont be here for ever.

I have been struggling every day since and feel suicidal(again)

I work and support myself but find all that and life itself tiring and frustrating-i need to mediate a number of times a day just to be able to function which is really draining.

I would really like to know if anyone has any advice on other medication,support group,counselling or any thing at all that could help stabilise me and be more emotionally balanced and stornger as frankly i don't think i can do all this for another 30 years or so

I just dont now where to go to get any more help which i know that i need ASAP

Any advice would be appreciated

Regards

• Hi there, guess if you feel suicidal then the usual advice, go to the GP, A&E if it's very urgent (but better don't wait for this, A&E is not a particularly pleasant place to be), either will probably get you in touch with some sort of crisis team. Or Samaritans. The thing is, although they may help you to keep yourself safe for the time being they are not really going to make you feel less isolated, Samaritans are probably a bit better for that, but still, it's only for the short-term.

No idea really how to get out of isolation, if I know I would do it myself too, but perhaps as a start have a look around here and join in if there's something that resonates with you in some way? Sometimes there are even hugs here! Just virtual ones, but better than nothing. It doesn't help with all aspects of isolation, if you want someone physically to be around, that's not really possible, but at least there are quite a few people here who may understand you much better than many people you have met for real, and you can just switch if off when it gets too much, and nobody will be offended. Welcome anyway!  

• Thanks for your reply-nice to know other people have an understanding on here so i will keep reading and hopeful pick up some tips to use

• Hi Peter,

I think Oktanol's advice is good - speaking to your GP is a good idea, they can refer you to various forms of counselling or therapy depending on what they think is best. For urgent support, calling a service like Samaritans may be very helpful. The NHS has links to support services here - https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/suicide/getting-help/#helplines-and-support-groups (you can also email Samaritans if you prefer not to talk on the phone). 

It might also be worth looking through our Autism Services Directory here - http://www.autism.org.uk/directory.aspx - for services or support groups in your area that deal specifically in mental health for people with ASD. If you want to speak to someone at the NAS directly who can help you please call the helpline on 0808 800 4104 (10am to 4pm, 9am-3pm on Fridays).

If you are at a crisis point and feel like harming yourself imminently please do call 999 or go to Accident and Emergency - some people are nervous about this as they feel that a mental health crisis isn't an emergency in the same as a physical medical problem, but this is the official advice from the NHS, and it will be taken seriously. https://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/mental-health-services-explained/Pages/mental-health-emergencies.aspx

Best wishes,

Ross - mod

• Hi Peter123, nice that you have a name now! 

Although you say it suits you much better to have distanced yourself from your family and friends (or maybe that only referred to friends?) you seem to have quite a need to stay in touch with them at least a little bit, isn't it? Maybe that's possible? Having them in small doses? They may even feel similar about you. Unless you have properly fallen out with them they would perhaps be quite happy to see a bit of you now and then, at least someone you used to get on with alright? Does any of them know about your diagnosis?