Recently diagnosed, dealing with flashbacks(?)

Hello. Recently diagnosed (late) and less than 5 people know so far - and my animal.

Deluge of flashbacks from childhood, and not great things I'll just say (traumatic) - the whole flashback thing is new to me. Perhaps triggered by one of the assessment questionnaires - the one that assessment exposure to traumatic events for possible PTSD. It made me realize how many times some things occured. I don't have PTSD, tho, despite the score, which is good.)

The flashbacks are really inconvenient and keep occuring so it looks like I have to get help for that now too. For someone who never thought to get help and never realized i wasn't "neurotypical" (<--new word) - it's a lot to process.

Is it because my mind NOW understands why/how  those things could have happened, so it's causing me to remember them so I can process them in light of the diagnosis?

DID/does ANYONE ELSE deal with the flashback thing after the looong assessment process? 

- Amber

Parents
  • I get this a lot, even more so now when I have to think back and remember things from my past. More and more stuff keeps emerging and I get quite distressed from it. I'm hoping it will subside eventually

• I get this a lot, even more so now when I have to think back and remember things from my past. More and more stuff keeps emerging and I get quite distressed from it. I'm hoping it will subside eventually

Children
  • for me the flashbacks were worse when they first came back and when the cptsd is fierce.

the more love, care and understanding poured in at the time the stronger and happier I get - I really hope it's the same for you Slight smile

• Same. A refactoring process for me. Silly simple things I got scolded or correct for as a kid.. like obsessing over clothing tags, crying when I had to endure the vaccuum cleaner noise, knowing in sort of a factual way that people were talking but not hearing it as words etc. and then getting in trouble or offending someone for 'not listening' well enough. Lots to understand differently. Same person as before the diagnosis, but no longer have a random list of seemingly unrelated oddities.

• Me too. Though my diagnosis was a year ago so it has settled.