Limited diet... causing issues

hi just wondering for those of you with children who have restricted diets, how you manage when outwith.

my son is 8 and his restrictive diet is manageable when in the house and places where we can take a packed lunch.

we were away a few days and things were manageable up until the last day . We had visited Blackpool on the way back which was a planned stop but we had not thought about the food.  We were luck enough to find a Greggs so L was happy with a couple off sausage rolls, cue breathing for me as it took us a while.  With a lot of stress and worry as we couldn’t find anything reaasonable for him up until that point. We very rarely go out to eat for this reason. The eating issue Aswell as realising that certain restaurants gave L sensory overload, music lights etc and anxiety if not having anything he would eat were just not fun so normally avoided. 

My question is has anyone else’s child extended there diet eventually or is this the future for L, his weight suffers due to the high carb intake and I feel I have to be quite restrictive of the things he does eat.

these are:

toast and marmite, potato scone with marmite, wrap with cheese and marmite, micro chips, beans and Richmond sausages, garlic bread, coco pops, strawberries, melon, spaghetti and carbonara (Aldi’s) on the odd occasion, crisps set types and organic fruit bars on occasion.   I realise this list appears extensive too some but there’s not much you can play with for meal ideas. He won’t eat regular chips etc and most foods are certain makes so that doesn’t help either funny enough he even has certain sweets he will eats according to colour etc although I try and restrict these too.

We have tried Various things when he was younger ie food reward charts, putting one new thing on plate, putting down the meal and if he ate great if not then he had to wait.  These did not work and were very stressful, it appears it’s due to sensory issues taste, touché, smell etc. Yellow food. 

It would be great if I heard someone else’s experience of this

thank you in advance.

tracky

Parents
  • Hi Tracky 

I have had a restricted diet all my life. It started when I was weaned and I have never changed. I am now 63.

I can imagine it does cause problems for you. My mother used to despair. She tried all things.She thought, as others do, that if I was hungry I would eat 'proper' food. I was served up with whatever other people were having and didn't eat it. So it was taken away and same next time being told I wouldn't get anything else unless I are it. It did not work. I just went hungry. After two days she realised it wouldn't work.

A lot of so-called proper food I find quite revolting. It smells terrible, the texture is disgusting and it's appearance repels me. I couldn't even be in the same room as an onion let alone put it in my mouth. I can detect one at fifty paces.

I eat very bland stuff and my diet is largely made up of bread, mainly wholemeal with some non messed about with stuff. I often have bread and honey or bread and jam (strawberry or blackcurrant only) for my main meal., or bread and a banana or bread and watercress with cheddar cheese.No other sort of cheese. I'll also have a boiled egg and chips with haddock or cod.  Strangely I will also eat kippers, smoked haddock and sardines, but bread is always part of the meal.  That plus milk, strawberry yogurt and some cake, and breakfast cereal is about my limit, although I will eat boiled ham and pork farms pork pie every so often. And I do eat fruit such as oranges,apples, grapes ,bananas, strawberries, cherries,etc.

Going to a restaurant would be a punishment for me, I don't like the smell, the food or the atmosphere of them.  But I am still alive and in reasonable physical health so it hasn't done me much harm. Not eating anything at all is far more harmful.

Nowadays I say when I have to be away on business that I am autistic and will make my own arrangements for food. I can usually get a bread roll, a banana,  and a bottle of milk. I cannot eat sandwiches unless I make them myself.

This may seem a bit strange to a neurotypical. I am very easy to please really and do not want fuss. Sociability was never my strong point.  And I know that neurotypical people think it is very strange but I am quite content not to join in with the ritual.  As they say, it takes allsorts to make Bertie Bassett.

• Hi Tracky 

I have had a restricted diet all my life. It started when I was weaned and I have never changed. I am now 63.

I can imagine it does cause problems for you. My mother used to despair. She tried all things.She thought, as others do, that if I was hungry I would eat 'proper' food. I was served up with whatever other people were having and didn't eat it. So it was taken away and same next time being told I wouldn't get anything else unless I are it. It did not work. I just went hungry. After two days she realised it wouldn't work.

A lot of so-called proper food I find quite revolting. It smells terrible, the texture is disgusting and it's appearance repels me. I couldn't even be in the same room as an onion let alone put it in my mouth. I can detect one at fifty paces.

I eat very bland stuff and my diet is largely made up of bread, mainly wholemeal with some non messed about with stuff. I often have bread and honey or bread and jam (strawberry or blackcurrant only) for my main meal., or bread and a banana or bread and watercress with cheddar cheese.No other sort of cheese. I'll also have a boiled egg and chips with haddock or cod.  Strangely I will also eat kippers, smoked haddock and sardines, but bread is always part of the meal.  That plus milk, strawberry yogurt and some cake, and breakfast cereal is about my limit, although I will eat boiled ham and pork farms pork pie every so often. And I do eat fruit such as oranges,apples, grapes ,bananas, strawberries, cherries,etc.

Going to a restaurant would be a punishment for me, I don't like the smell, the food or the atmosphere of them.  But I am still alive and in reasonable physical health so it hasn't done me much harm. Not eating anything at all is far more harmful.

Nowadays I say when I have to be away on business that I am autistic and will make my own arrangements for food. I can usually get a bread roll, a banana,  and a bottle of milk. I cannot eat sandwiches unless I make them myself.

This may seem a bit strange to a neurotypical. I am very easy to please really and do not want fuss. Sociability was never my strong point.  And I know that neurotypical people think it is very strange but I am quite content not to join in with the ritual.  As they say, it takes allsorts to make Bertie Bassett.

Children
No Data