Identifying causes of alleged anxiety

I suffer from chronic depression, as well has having been diagnosed as on the autistic spectrum.  I have been re-referred to a psychiatrist, who tells me that a lot of my current problems are caused by anxiety, and I need to resolve the issues that are making me anxious before they can help me further.

The trouble is, I don't actually feel anxious, never mind be able to identify what it is that might be causing it.  I've tried suggesting various things that could be causing it to the psychiatrist, and the only response I get is along the lines of "well I can't tell you what's affecting you".  Can anyone suggest any way out of this impasse?  Or if I can indeed be said to be "feeling" something, if I've only got someone else's word for it that I'm displaying the symptoms?

Parents
  • Yes, suppose that's also a possibility, maybe the more likely one. Perhaps I should have said I admire you for not turning into a two-year-old. I seem to have never-ending energy for this...

Hope you get somewhere. Will you see this psychiatrist regularly? Perhaps not, perhaps some counsellor is better for helping you to find out what is causing anxiety and perhaps that can be initiated with what the psychiatrist said? Don't know your circumstances except for what you wrote, but I've only been send to a psychiatrist to figure out what's wrong with me, not to actually do anything about it. It seems strange that someone you have never met before is supposed to know any better than people who know you (at least when they are counsellors as in my case) but he was probably the person understanding me best out of all those people. 

• Yes, suppose that's also a possibility, maybe the more likely one. Perhaps I should have said I admire you for not turning into a two-year-old. I seem to have never-ending energy for this...

Hope you get somewhere. Will you see this psychiatrist regularly? Perhaps not, perhaps some counsellor is better for helping you to find out what is causing anxiety and perhaps that can be initiated with what the psychiatrist said? Don't know your circumstances except for what you wrote, but I've only been send to a psychiatrist to figure out what's wrong with me, not to actually do anything about it. It seems strange that someone you have never met before is supposed to know any better than people who know you (at least when they are counsellors as in my case) but he was probably the person understanding me best out of all those people. 

Children
No Data