I am not an idiot

Lately I'm trying really hard to admit when I can't follow a conversation. I do this by saying 'I don't understand,' and most people are really helpful and respond by explaining what they mean in a way that makes sense to me. It means I don't have to pretend I know what's going on when I have absolutely no idea.

This doesn't always work though, some people react by repeating the same instruction a bit louder and by the third or fourth time they're shouting and I still have no idea what's going on. I am not an idiot, I just need things reworded sometimes. If I say this to the other person it often makes things worse (but at least it makes me feel better).

I have no solution but I thought there might be a few people on here who relate! Are there any things you wish other people would do differently?

• Since English isn't my first language I get this all the time, think British people are known for it (repeating the same louder, I mean), so why should it be different when you don't understand something for another reason... Language is a good excuse though :) Think my biggest problem with understanding (well, before moving to Norway) is that if I don't understand some little and often unimportant detail I keep thinking and wondering about that and then miss the things that did actually matter. Then people find it impolite and offensive because they think I got bored and stopped listening... In a way I would prefer if people thought I had a thick moment, at least they wouldn't get angry. Anyway, I also keep asking if I didn't get something, I can't have that, to not know what exactly someone meant, even if it's not something that's crucial for me to know.

• I'm in love with the goose :-) where did you find the picture?

• Yes, can definitely relate to this too!  As Aspergoose says, I also find that just to say "I don't get it" helps people to explain things in a way I understand.  I get hugely distracted if the TV is on in the same room and usually just mute the sound so I can concentrate on someone's speech (rarely watch TV so this isn't a big problem).

I often had major problems interpreting people's instructions when I was working (currently not working here), and the suggestions here are very helpful - I'm going to make a note of them for when I re-enter employment.

People who just shout and think they'll then be understood are the idiots.  They obviously don't realise it's the way they've explained something which is the problem...their problem!

• I quite often get this at work,I now have the confidence since learning about autism to say"hold on I will write this down as my memory is useless," not exactly true but helps, I also feel more confident to say"ok so you want this done this way?" Quite often I have got it wrong but I have told my bosses I am ASD and to begin with they doubted me, I think they are now beginning to see the cap fits. I have educated them to just what autism is and how it effects me.

I also have some great work mates who I can call on to listen for me, I rely on them quite a lot but I am a fair understanding foreman so it works both ways.

• Definitely relate to this. Tricky to find a phrase that works. Good for you working on this, I am too. 

In a work setting I try saying "let me see, are you saying "this, that and the other"?. Then they have a chance to correct any misunderstanding. 

With people I know "I don't get it" is enough to trigger a better explanation.

The Irish have a lovely expression "my head's away" sometimes using that (with an Irish accent!) and adding "so I missed some of what you said" is a gentle way to get another chance to understand.

I find it helps to run a quick diagnostic. Why am I finding it hard to follow this conversation? Is the lighting too bright, too noisy, does the person have strong perfume, am I tired, thirsty or hungry.? Is it possible to have this conversation at another time or in a different setting? Small changes can make a big difference to how well I can process conversation.

Keep up with your efforts. Clarity is out there.

• I wish people could talk slower. People often speak too fast.