Feeling left out

I'm Jess and I'm 16 and in January I found out I have aspergers. I find social situations really really stressful and they make me really tired which gets mistaken for laziness. It makes me nervous about everything on social media and I just feel like I'm being left behind in my teenage years. I'm considered a weirdo because I'm quiet and shy so I'm not invited to any parties, not that I would actually go because I would rather curl up with an Enid blyton than go out and party but would just like to be asked at least. I'm going back to school soon and I'm having sleepless nights worrying about the social side like lunchtimes. Does anyone have any advice ? I'm just sick of being so anxious about what people think and. It understanding sarcasm or what they are talking about. It makes me feel so isolated and alone. It's horrid. X

Parents
  • My number one tip. Become a student librarian for lunchtimes. Great for experience,  access to books and you will meet other people who are more shy and reserved.

Survived secondary school that way.

Approach the librarian at school. See if you can find out if they are in before term starts and go speak to them

• My number one tip is to let yourself be yourself. Let yourself be imperfect (everyone else is imperfect too). Be kind to yourself, a lot of us are very self-critical - look outwards and see that other people are not so different from you as you might think. Most people are insecure and put on displays of bravado and bluster but inside they are as desperate to be liked as we are.

Have a look at some of the youtube and books of Susan Cain - she wrote a book called Quiet that resonated with me. She has also done some TED talks too. She isn't diagnosed as autistic but she says some things that might resonate with you.

I agree with the others about school being tough. I got bullied at school and found life better afterwards.

PS I don't think of it as a learning disability - I do think it is a problem but I don't think it makes me stupid.

• My number one tip is to let yourself be yourself. Let yourself be imperfect (everyone else is imperfect too). Be kind to yourself, a lot of us are very self-critical - look outwards and see that other people are not so different from you as you might think. Most people are insecure and put on displays of bravado and bluster but inside they are as desperate to be liked as we are.

Have a look at some of the youtube and books of Susan Cain - she wrote a book called Quiet that resonated with me. She has also done some TED talks too. She isn't diagnosed as autistic but she says some things that might resonate with you.

I agree with the others about school being tough. I got bullied at school and found life better afterwards.

PS I don't think of it as a learning disability - I do think it is a problem but I don't think it makes me stupid.

Children
No Data