If you have a diagnosis for more than one health condition/disability/learning disabilities.. How do they interact and how do you manage?

In the end I'm just me. But I have what seems a long list of issues and I keep wondering which bits are for what diagnosis and how to deal with them. Or do I just  accept everything as a whole.. If you have multiple health issues or multiple diversity how do you manage? 

Parents
  • Hi Misfit61 and ,

About 2 years ago I discovered a gym that has a strong rehabilitation and inclusion emphasis. The person who started it has some YouTube clips for what he calls Body Awareness. Search on YouTube: Rowan Ellis Body Synergy Gym. There are 6 rep and 12 rep. Start with the 6, it looks easy but you will find it makes you sweat. They are about building core strength.

Technique is important, so do listen carefully and use a mirror to check your form. If you are under the care of an OT or physio, show them and feel free to share the clips.

I did these for 3  months with static bike (he even has advice on posture on a bike), now I do weights. The staff constantly check technique.

It's not fun but it's great for well-being

• Hi Misfit61 and ,

About 2 years ago I discovered a gym that has a strong rehabilitation and inclusion emphasis. The person who started it has some YouTube clips for what he calls Body Awareness. Search on YouTube: Rowan Ellis Body Synergy Gym. There are 6 rep and 12 rep. Start with the 6, it looks easy but you will find it makes you sweat. They are about building core strength.

Technique is important, so do listen carefully and use a mirror to check your form. If you are under the care of an OT or physio, show them and feel free to share the clips.

I did these for 3  months with static bike (he even has advice on posture on a bike), now I do weights. The staff constantly check technique.

It's not fun but it's great for well-being

Children
  • Quirkyfriend I am uncertain about the overlaps. We both have dcd and I have adhd and am autistic and you have ADHD and autism in your family. Plus I know some people with dyslexia also have overlap too. The business of coordination, balance and spatial awareness.. do you notice distinct differences between you or is it similar or is it yet again down to the individual? Mines much worse when I'm tired. And are the overlapping bits really all part of one thing?  Today has been quite yukky I could use some of your wisdom. 

• Thanks Quirkyfriend Iwill have a look. I spent some time looking at the aero Pilates and can see why Spotty Tortoise bought one. There are others too which are more off the floor. I have found a place about 12 miles away that does reformer Pilates but for a regular commitment that's too far. I have enjoyed Leslie Sansome Walk at home on YouTube. She takes you through at the level of your choice 1-5 miles and changes the steps to incorporate different muscle groups and she makes it fun.  Even though I have a reminder to do it I forget or get sidetracked or need the energy for something else ( how I need to use my spoons that day). Glad you have found a gym where you feel safe and have supportive staff.. that makes a big difference.