If you have a diagnosis for more than one health condition/disability/learning disabilities.. How do they interact and how do you manage?

In the end I'm just me. But I have what seems a long list of issues and I keep wondering which bits are for what diagnosis and how to deal with them. Or do I just  accept everything as a whole.. If you have multiple health issues or multiple diversity how do you manage? 

Parents
  • Hi Misfit,

For years, I was diagnosed with an assortment of MH issues: depression, anxiety disorder, SAD, etc.  For a time, it was even thought I had BPD, though I couldn't get a diagnosis in spite of exhibiting virtually all of the major symptoms.

For me, my diagnosis of ASC two years ago provided the root of all of this.  I firmly believe that all of the other issues stem from autism.  Much of the depression was caused by my seeming inability in so many areas of life - especially social interactions and relationships.  Anxiety has been a constant with me for much of my life - again, usually made worse around social situations.

When my GP last signed me off, just after my mother passed away, she put on the certificate 'Post-bereavement depression and anxiety linked to Autistic Spectrum Disorder.'

Sounds about right to me.

• Yes I have often thought that the root of the depression and anxiety was something.. then when I realised the something was autism it just fitted. I got my dyspraxia diagnosis first with ADHD mentioned but it just didn't quite give me the whole answer. It was the niggle I hadn't quite got the answer and suffered with depression  and then fibromyalgia/cfs for so long that kept me on track to get the autism diagnosis. (Plus sleep apnoea,arthritis, eczema, blepharitis ). It is a huge relief to have to jigsaw finally fit together and I suppose I am impatient for me to learn how to fix myself so that I can break free from my bubble again. But my bubble is sort of ok for now til I'm ready or next major thing happens. It just takes time and adjustment to my diagnosis, caring for myself and my dad and losing mum. My resilience has reduced over time. I find it harder and harder to get up and start all over again each time. 

• Same here - though losing mum, the most catastrophic event of my life, has shown me that I have more resilience than I thought.  I think it's largely because I've been self-reliant for so many years: living alone, doing everything for myself.

In some ways, I regard the ASC diagnosis as a 'fix' of sorts.  Since getting it, I've felt validated.  Much more positive.  I now have a way, too, of explaining certain things about myself that used to leave me baffled and low.  I'm relatively okay with things as they are now.  I'm guessing from the numerals in your name (year of birth?) that you are about the same age as I am - a little younger, actually!  It's a long time to live in confusion.  I don't have any other conditions, really, so I'm not going to be looking for anything else now in terms of 'fixing' me.  I'll carry on as I am.  But I do understand that other people go through a lot more than I do, so would want further help.  I suppose it also depends on what people want out of life.  Some people want friendships, relationships, etc - whereas I'm quite happy to carry on without them.

Do you have any therapies in mind?  I was referred to a DBT-based course of therapy, but it was too far away for me to get to - plus I was nursing mum at the time.  There doesn't seem to be much else available to me around here.

Coming on the forums helps me tremendously, of course.  Comfort in numbers.

• Same here - though losing mum, the most catastrophic event of my life, has shown me that I have more resilience than I thought.  I think it's largely because I've been self-reliant for so many years: living alone, doing everything for myself.

In some ways, I regard the ASC diagnosis as a 'fix' of sorts.  Since getting it, I've felt validated.  Much more positive.  I now have a way, too, of explaining certain things about myself that used to leave me baffled and low.  I'm relatively okay with things as they are now.  I'm guessing from the numerals in your name (year of birth?) that you are about the same age as I am - a little younger, actually!  It's a long time to live in confusion.  I don't have any other conditions, really, so I'm not going to be looking for anything else now in terms of 'fixing' me.  I'll carry on as I am.  But I do understand that other people go through a lot more than I do, so would want further help.  I suppose it also depends on what people want out of life.  Some people want friendships, relationships, etc - whereas I'm quite happy to carry on without them.

Do you have any therapies in mind?  I was referred to a DBT-based course of therapy, but it was too far away for me to get to - plus I was nursing mum at the time.  There doesn't seem to be much else available to me around here.

Coming on the forums helps me tremendously, of course.  Comfort in numbers.

Children
  • Well done for remembering the skills. The trouble with interventions for me is the executive function bit.. The pain management programme and cbt required consistent "homework " and managing a few things at once. In essence the ideas are really helpful but I wasn't able to execute them by myself. Mindst I was at work and commuting then too so it was all a bit much. There is next to no resources in my area either.. Hope the new job goes well. 

• I've also done some CBT.  I still use the principles in it to challenge myself - such as the other day, when I was panicking about changing job and having to buy a car.  Everything came tumbling in at once - so I stopped, worked it through, challenged the thought processes.  It definitely helped.  There is a form of CBT, too, that's especially adapted for people on the spectrum.

What's available seems to depend on where you live.  By going to work at an autistic trust, I'm hoping to find out a lot more about resources in my area.

Everything in its own time, as you say Slight smile

1. Yes you are right of course re 61. And it is a long walk to get to this point. But luckier than some I have read about who only find out in ther old age! As you can imagine from my history I have had a series of talking therapy including cbt not DBT tho over the years at one level or another. However with the diagnosis I now have I could maybe get more specific therapy but the nearest is an hour away and private. In this post diagnosis phase as you say this forum has been a revelation in finding folk on the same page and wish I'd plucked up courage months ago.  But things in their own time and all that.