Awaiting diagnosis outcome

I have been through 3 assessment sessions and given over 60 pages of experiences struggles and examples from childhood till now.  My mother came with me for support and to give early childhood input.  The whole process I found to be incredibly draining.  

I have my outcome meeting this week.  My appointment is this Wednesday 3rd May.  I'm scared as I'm not sure how I will react to either an ASD diagnosis or something else or nothing.

Either outcome is a big range of possible emotions for me and I'm not sure I will be able to regulate my emotions at all. 

Is anyone else in this situation as well?  I really would like to chat with you or others that can tell me what this outcome appointment is like or was like for them. 

Sorry for a disjointed post, I'm pretty scatty at the moment.

Regards

Plex 

Parents
  • Hi Plex

I was diagnosed in May but it seems your process was very long winded. Mine was a simple 2-hour long interview answering questions. There was no paperwork involved at all for me. I expected the outcome but was surprised by my reaction. I felt crushed and suddenly felt my whole life was a lie and that I'd been trying so hard to be what people expected me to be, was wasn't really sure who the real me was. 

Now that some time has passed I'm getting used to my label and things are making sense to me know. Work has been good about it and now understand some of my 'little ways' has a reason behind it. 

I didn't plan on joining forums and seeking help, but my curiosity lead me to here and I'm glad I did. Reading other people's experiences has helped me identify my own. I'm not entirely sure what actions of mine are autistic or NT. But at least I know I'm not being awkward, insensitive and the other comments I've had thrown at me - sometimes I'm oblivious to my action's outcomes. Hopefully, once people know they're not deliberate, they'll be more understanding and less critical. I think in time, my label will be a help whereas initially it suddenly felt like a burden.

Regards, Lee

• Hi Plex

I was diagnosed in May but it seems your process was very long winded. Mine was a simple 2-hour long interview answering questions. There was no paperwork involved at all for me. I expected the outcome but was surprised by my reaction. I felt crushed and suddenly felt my whole life was a lie and that I'd been trying so hard to be what people expected me to be, was wasn't really sure who the real me was. 

Now that some time has passed I'm getting used to my label and things are making sense to me know. Work has been good about it and now understand some of my 'little ways' has a reason behind it. 

I didn't plan on joining forums and seeking help, but my curiosity lead me to here and I'm glad I did. Reading other people's experiences has helped me identify my own. I'm not entirely sure what actions of mine are autistic or NT. But at least I know I'm not being awkward, insensitive and the other comments I've had thrown at me - sometimes I'm oblivious to my action's outcomes. Hopefully, once people know they're not deliberate, they'll be more understanding and less critical. I think in time, my label will be a help whereas initially it suddenly felt like a burden.

Regards, Lee

Children
No Data