Rejected for assessment

I went to my dr a month ago to see about getting diagnosed as being on the spectrum as i struggle a lot and since my youngest was diagnosed with autism i now know that i am on the spectrum too.

Wrote a big list as i struggle with communication, took my husband in with me for support and also wrote down my aq score of 43.

Today the dr has said the autism team do not want to see me as they dont think i have autism, how can they judge this without seeing me, the dr kept saying that they were the autism experts and they would know, i can not believe they dont want to see me, i listed all of my issues/problems down and just dont know where to turn to next, the dr gave me an option of going private but as i understand it a diagnosis private is not regonised on the nhs?

The team had also said they dont take into account the aq test, surely that should give an indication that someone should at least be assessed, just feel like i am completing wasting my time

Can anyone advise what should i do next?

Parents
  • I'm the same age as you (aq score of 46).....raised the possibility of an assessment with my GP...who now wants to test my thyroid as the reason behind my anxiety....but I know that I am autistic...

hang in there girl!

• In my local health area in NZ their arbitrary cut off was of the person was in employment or education, they were not severe enough to warrant assessment for either ASD or ADHD.

I wrote a detailed rebuttal based on and citing the national guidelines for screening and then pointed out that implicit in this was the encouragement for SD20 quit her job.

The psychiatrist who saw her admitted to me I had been completely correct in my insistence over the need to assess.

We went private with SD16, because the waiting list for adolescent mental health in a city 5 years post a major natural disaster (earthquakes) is too long unless the kid has major risk factors for suicide or psychotic symptoms. She had been triaged at 13 as having no significant problems based on an 15 min interview with her mother present saying she only exhibited anxiety in relation to her father...we didn't want to put her through a triage again

• In my local health area in NZ their arbitrary cut off was of the person was in employment or education, they were not severe enough to warrant assessment for either ASD or ADHD.

I wrote a detailed rebuttal based on and citing the national guidelines for screening and then pointed out that implicit in this was the encouragement for SD20 quit her job.

The psychiatrist who saw her admitted to me I had been completely correct in my insistence over the need to assess.

We went private with SD16, because the waiting list for adolescent mental health in a city 5 years post a major natural disaster (earthquakes) is too long unless the kid has major risk factors for suicide or psychotic symptoms. She had been triaged at 13 as having no significant problems based on an 15 min interview with her mother present saying she only exhibited anxiety in relation to her father...we didn't want to put her through a triage again

Children
No Data