Epilim & autism?

I diddnt know till this evening that this epeleptic drug can cause autism, now though i did not take this when pregnant,do you think this could stay in your system or do something that causes it? i started taking this medication when i was around 15 to the age of 18 and wondering if this possibley could be the cause? however it should have well dissapeared out my system????/

Parents
  • longman said:

The epilepsy may be what's termed a "red herring" here, unless mumof4boys772 was taking it for epilepsy. asnd even then it isn't relevant.

It may or may not be a red herring. Who is to say what is relevant or not? I am only trying to highlight information that may help to understand where her son's condition came from.

Mo4B described epilem as as epilectic drug and that she took it from ages 15-18. My guess is that she was taking it for epilepsy. However the  use of the drug for the other conditions could also mean that there is am underlying link between the underlying condition, that was being treated, and the autism that has surfaced in her child.

I, personally, think that there is some considerable comfort to be gained from understanding that autism is a stable and relatively benign condition that does not progress with age. Moreover, the condition responds well to care and consideration from the people around and from the person concerned getting a better understanding of what are the triggers and aggravating factors that can make the difference between entirely unbearable life and entirely managable and successful life.

There are lots of possibilities here. SOI raises another interesting point about possible common factors with a genetic condition that could conceivably be related to all sorts of brain function conditions. I think that it is fair to say that we know that we don't know what caused the autism in her son. There is very little to be gained from her beating herself up for a drug that was taken some years ago that probably had nothing to do with her son's condition.

• longman said:

The epilepsy may be what's termed a "red herring" here, unless mumof4boys772 was taking it for epilepsy. asnd even then it isn't relevant.

It may or may not be a red herring. Who is to say what is relevant or not? I am only trying to highlight information that may help to understand where her son's condition came from.

Mo4B described epilem as as epilectic drug and that she took it from ages 15-18. My guess is that she was taking it for epilepsy. However the  use of the drug for the other conditions could also mean that there is am underlying link between the underlying condition, that was being treated, and the autism that has surfaced in her child.

I, personally, think that there is some considerable comfort to be gained from understanding that autism is a stable and relatively benign condition that does not progress with age. Moreover, the condition responds well to care and consideration from the people around and from the person concerned getting a better understanding of what are the triggers and aggravating factors that can make the difference between entirely unbearable life and entirely managable and successful life.

There are lots of possibilities here. SOI raises another interesting point about possible common factors with a genetic condition that could conceivably be related to all sorts of brain function conditions. I think that it is fair to say that we know that we don't know what caused the autism in her son. There is very little to be gained from her beating herself up for a drug that was taken some years ago that probably had nothing to do with her son's condition.

Children
No Data