Epilim & autism?

I diddnt know till this evening that this epeleptic drug can cause autism, now though i did not take this when pregnant,do you think this could stay in your system or do something that causes it? i started taking this medication when i was around 15 to the age of 18 and wondering if this possibley could be the cause? however it should have well dissapeared out my system????/

Parents
  • The epilepsy may be what's termed a "red herring" here, unless mumof4boys772 was taking it for epilepsy. asnd even then it isn't relevant. It is also used to treat bipolar disorder and depression, and even migraines and is given to pregnant mothers to prevent seizures, which is the primary reason why it could affect newborn children.

However OP took it earlier in life, not during pregancy, and its not likely that it had any impact more than a few weeks after ceasing the medication. 

The occurrence of epilepsy comorbid with autism isn't at issue here, only that scientiists are now suggesting that if taken during pregnancy epilum ccould be a factor in autism in the child conceived.

• The epilepsy may be what's termed a "red herring" here, unless mumof4boys772 was taking it for epilepsy. asnd even then it isn't relevant. It is also used to treat bipolar disorder and depression, and even migraines and is given to pregnant mothers to prevent seizures, which is the primary reason why it could affect newborn children.

However OP took it earlier in life, not during pregancy, and its not likely that it had any impact more than a few weeks after ceasing the medication. 

The occurrence of epilepsy comorbid with autism isn't at issue here, only that scientiists are now suggesting that if taken during pregnancy epilum ccould be a factor in autism in the child conceived.

Children
No Data