hyperlexia - more info (new member)

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, have been meaning to register on this site for a while but never to seem to have the time (2 children plus work from home!). Anyway, I'm here now and am really pleased that there is a forum for us all to chat :-)

I believe my son has Hyperlexia, he is currently being assessed but the main part of the assessment is not till February. I'm trying to find good rreliable websites/organisations/resources where I can educate myself further. There isn't very much on hyperlexia on this website.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Hope you're all having a great Sunday.

Take care xx

Parents
  • I throw this in for discussion.

So, I looked up hyperlexia. Having easily worked out what it means, I thought I'd look up what the 'tinkerers' have to say about it.

When I were a lad, we used to have the Beano delivered with the newspapers. I could 'scan and get' the words from an early age (although my pronunciation was occasionaly slightly adrift) and my Mum used to put my 'reading' skills down to a kid's comic, as in the oft repeated phrase 'who'd a thought it?'.

Little did we know! And still don't, I'm sorry to say.

As in all things ASD, it may or may not be a facet of ASD, according to the little known and even less understood ability that is represented by 'hyperlexia'. Certainly we already have a suggestion of a 'dyslexia' link to ASD.

I didn't come away from my research any more informed than before I did it. I am reminded of what I have often thought of as other crude attempts to describe 'aspects of Homo Aspie' (I think of the term 'idiot savant', for instance) which have been used to decsribe a person with an exceptional single skill that defied a person's general demeanour. It is my belief that this is a very crude way to describe certain 'lucky' AS people, i.e those whose parents/carers identified a particular skill and encouraged the child to indulge that particular 'obsession'.

I think that we've all got skills, and possibly a single, exceptional one each, but that many of us have never had our individual skills either identified or supported. Who knows?

Thoughts anyone?

• I throw this in for discussion.

So, I looked up hyperlexia. Having easily worked out what it means, I thought I'd look up what the 'tinkerers' have to say about it.

When I were a lad, we used to have the Beano delivered with the newspapers. I could 'scan and get' the words from an early age (although my pronunciation was occasionaly slightly adrift) and my Mum used to put my 'reading' skills down to a kid's comic, as in the oft repeated phrase 'who'd a thought it?'.

Little did we know! And still don't, I'm sorry to say.

As in all things ASD, it may or may not be a facet of ASD, according to the little known and even less understood ability that is represented by 'hyperlexia'. Certainly we already have a suggestion of a 'dyslexia' link to ASD.

I didn't come away from my research any more informed than before I did it. I am reminded of what I have often thought of as other crude attempts to describe 'aspects of Homo Aspie' (I think of the term 'idiot savant', for instance) which have been used to decsribe a person with an exceptional single skill that defied a person's general demeanour. It is my belief that this is a very crude way to describe certain 'lucky' AS people, i.e those whose parents/carers identified a particular skill and encouraged the child to indulge that particular 'obsession'.

I think that we've all got skills, and possibly a single, exceptional one each, but that many of us have never had our individual skills either identified or supported. Who knows?

Thoughts anyone?

Children
No Data