Adult private diagnosis without GP referral?

Hi,

I'm a 28-year-old woman and I strongly believe I have high-functioning Asperger's - I was just wondering if anyone here had successfully obtained a private diagnosis of ASD without having to be referred by a GP? I'm in the North East but there doesn't seem to be anywhere offering this around here.

My reason for seeking a diagnosis is just to put the problems that I've had all my life into context - I'm not seeking any NHS help or any benefits.

I very much doubt I would get a referral from my GP (or any other doctor) as I'm sure it seems that outwardly I am 'coping' - I have a partner and a full-time job, and a range of (fake) social skills that I have been able to mimic from others, but this is all very much an act which is exhausting to perform every day. 

I also fully accept that my Aspergers is not causing me as many problems as it does for others, and this is another reason that I would feel uncomfortable taking up a space on an NHS diagnosis waiting list.

Many thanks in advance for your help :)

(PS - Yes I know I'm extremely lucky to be able to afford a private diagnosis - I'm only able to afford it because I was left a small amount of money when my alcoholic mother (who I believe also had AS) died last year. I'm certainly not rich by any means)

Parents Reply Children
  • Hi Miamoo

check out Odd Girl Out (Laura James), Nerdy, Shy, and Socially Inappropriate (Cynthia Kim)...

also the Musings of an Aspie site is good...below is a long list of compiled profile traits particularly focused on women by Tania Marshall. I found the latter very interesting as the two books tend to focus on the authors personal experience but do include some good strategies. You can read sample content of both online.

https://taniaannmarshall.wordpress.com/2013/03/26/moving-towards-a-female-profile-the-unique-characteristics-abilities-and-talents-of-asperwomen-adult-women-with-asperger-syndrome/

hope you find them useful.  Ellie 

• She is the person I would be referred to if I asked my GP for a NHS referral, so that's good, she asked the name of my GP practice, to check for me.

• Thanks Elephant, the lady I spoke to at Axia said that I could go to them via the NHS as they are the correct route or something, but she said it would take a lot longer, the GP has to apply for funding etc, my GP is rubbish, its a huge surgery with 20 different locum type doctors who swap and change so you never get to see the same GP twice, I find going to the GP so stressful, I keep meaning to switch to a smaller GP practice in town, but the GP practice I'm at now I have been all my life, and I never get round to it. I would rather just pay and find out more quickly, I am a lady :) I don't know if I am particularly clued up in the differences between male and female ASD, is there anything in particular you would recommend me reading?

• No need I think! You will find her quite serious in some ways, but I eventually enjoyed that and we had a laugh or two along the way. She does a lot of NHS referrals in the region, but I am too long abroad to be allowed NHS attention. I imagine the waiting list might be a bit longer for NHS.

• It is just a shame that  you have to pay to go through this  privately...are you up to speed re. The research on how ASD presents itself in women (assuming here that you are a lady!) :)

• Thanks I'll have a really good read up before hand. The lady I spoke to was really nice and did reassure me. I'll be glad when I know one way or another.

• Well done for making the phone call and arranging the meeting,  there has been some good advice posted on the site about how you can best prepare yourself for the appointment which I hope with reduce the fear factor. 

• I've just made an appointment with Axia-asd for November which is the first appointment they have available. Feeling scared now!