Adult private diagnosis without GP referral?

Hi,

I'm a 28-year-old woman and I strongly believe I have high-functioning Asperger's - I was just wondering if anyone here had successfully obtained a private diagnosis of ASD without having to be referred by a GP? I'm in the North East but there doesn't seem to be anywhere offering this around here.

My reason for seeking a diagnosis is just to put the problems that I've had all my life into context - I'm not seeking any NHS help or any benefits.

I very much doubt I would get a referral from my GP (or any other doctor) as I'm sure it seems that outwardly I am 'coping' - I have a partner and a full-time job, and a range of (fake) social skills that I have been able to mimic from others, but this is all very much an act which is exhausting to perform every day. 

I also fully accept that my Aspergers is not causing me as many problems as it does for others, and this is another reason that I would feel uncomfortable taking up a space on an NHS diagnosis waiting list.

Many thanks in advance for your help :)

(PS - Yes I know I'm extremely lucky to be able to afford a private diagnosis - I'm only able to afford it because I was left a small amount of money when my alcoholic mother (who I believe also had AS) died last year. I'm certainly not rich by any means)

Parents
  • @lemondifficult I would be really interested in the outcome here. I'm also in the north east and a 29 year old female. I have been told the NHS waiting list is up to 2 years!

• I'm also interested in this topic, am looking for someone who diagnoses adults privately, I've contacted many people already, I've only had a couple of replies so far, one from spectrum north west and they are close to 2k, £590 is the cheapest but its too far away in Eastbourne (I'm in the North West).  As I only want to be diagnosed for my own peace of mind, and just to know one way or another it doesn't have to be the full multi-disciplinary assessment

I cant afford more than £500 for assessment.

If anyone gets any prices could they post and I will do the same.

• I'm also interested in this topic, am looking for someone who diagnoses adults privately, I've contacted many people already, I've only had a couple of replies so far, one from spectrum north west and they are close to 2k, £590 is the cheapest but its too far away in Eastbourne (I'm in the North West).  As I only want to be diagnosed for my own peace of mind, and just to know one way or another it doesn't have to be the full multi-disciplinary assessment

I cant afford more than £500 for assessment.

If anyone gets any prices could they post and I will do the same.

Children
  • Hi, my SD16 ended up on the adult pathway for a private diagnosis in NZ. She was seen by a single clinical psychologist who administered AAA, her Dad completed a developmental questionnaire to help identify certain aspects of behaviour not always clear in the  AAA (but not essential for a diagnosis if there is no one able to do it). It was 3 hours plus 3 hours of interpretation and write up/ discussion about results. In my experience it's about the same in dollars as pounds so we paid $650. 

My SO was assessed by his public health psychologist after SD16 got her diagnosis. He didn't diagnose with ASD but rather with cPTSD from a combination of family of origin issues and abuse by the girls' mother...he also was screened wit AAA and it was completed in 4 hours as the psychologist didn't have to write a detailed report. 

• The adult neurological assessment is more based on discussion and observation it seems. Less testing, because most adults have already adapted quite heavily to their earlier challenges.

• Yes it is very interesting to see the variation in prices, I guess its for kids who will need support in school etc you need to go for the full multi disciplinary assessment,  and you can see why that would be very expensive as you have 2 or 3 professionals involved.

• I was quoted £850 for private assessment in Canterbury, Kent, I'm not going ahead with that as I've now been referred to the Maudsley and just have to wait and wait... and wait some more.  Not much use to you but it is interesting to see the variation in prices.  I imagine there is a similar but not necessarily correlating variation in service provided.