Adult private diagnosis without GP referral?

Hi,

I'm a 28-year-old woman and I strongly believe I have high-functioning Asperger's - I was just wondering if anyone here had successfully obtained a private diagnosis of ASD without having to be referred by a GP? I'm in the North East but there doesn't seem to be anywhere offering this around here.

My reason for seeking a diagnosis is just to put the problems that I've had all my life into context - I'm not seeking any NHS help or any benefits.

I very much doubt I would get a referral from my GP (or any other doctor) as I'm sure it seems that outwardly I am 'coping' - I have a partner and a full-time job, and a range of (fake) social skills that I have been able to mimic from others, but this is all very much an act which is exhausting to perform every day. 

I also fully accept that my Aspergers is not causing me as many problems as it does for others, and this is another reason that I would feel uncomfortable taking up a space on an NHS diagnosis waiting list.

Many thanks in advance for your help :)

(PS - Yes I know I'm extremely lucky to be able to afford a private diagnosis - I'm only able to afford it because I was left a small amount of money when my alcoholic mother (who I believe also had AS) died last year. I'm certainly not rich by any means)

Parents
  • longman said:
    Look on the NAS website for your nearest NHS diagnostic service, hopefully within your local authority, and ask their advice about going through your GP. If you have them 'in the loop' it may be easier to track a way through, even if your GP initially refers you to a psychologist or counselling service.

But she wants to go private.  Also, NHS waiting lists are likely to be long and she clearly wants to know rather than stay in limbo.

OP, you are entitled to an NHS referral, it doesn't matter what your GP thinks.  Take the AQ10 http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/live/13774/59686/59686.pdf and if you score 6 or more, save your money and go on the NHS waiting list if you don't mind waiting an indeterminate time.  According to law your GP has to refer you if you have signs of Asperger's.  It doesn't matter whether he thinks you are functioning well or not.  He's not the expert.  I understand if you want to go private to get it done quicker though, and in my experience you are more likely to get a thorough assessment.

• longman said:
    Look on the NAS website for your nearest NHS diagnostic service, hopefully within your local authority, and ask their advice about going through your GP. If you have them 'in the loop' it may be easier to track a way through, even if your GP initially refers you to a psychologist or counselling service.

But she wants to go private.  Also, NHS waiting lists are likely to be long and she clearly wants to know rather than stay in limbo.

OP, you are entitled to an NHS referral, it doesn't matter what your GP thinks.  Take the AQ10 http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/live/13774/59686/59686.pdf and if you score 6 or more, save your money and go on the NHS waiting list if you don't mind waiting an indeterminate time.  According to law your GP has to refer you if you have signs of Asperger's.  It doesn't matter whether he thinks you are functioning well or not.  He's not the expert.  I understand if you want to go private to get it done quicker though, and in my experience you are more likely to get a thorough assessment.

Children
No Data