Adult private diagnosis without GP referral?

Hi,

I'm a 28-year-old woman and I strongly believe I have high-functioning Asperger's - I was just wondering if anyone here had successfully obtained a private diagnosis of ASD without having to be referred by a GP? I'm in the North East but there doesn't seem to be anywhere offering this around here.

My reason for seeking a diagnosis is just to put the problems that I've had all my life into context - I'm not seeking any NHS help or any benefits.

I very much doubt I would get a referral from my GP (or any other doctor) as I'm sure it seems that outwardly I am 'coping' - I have a partner and a full-time job, and a range of (fake) social skills that I have been able to mimic from others, but this is all very much an act which is exhausting to perform every day. 

I also fully accept that my Aspergers is not causing me as many problems as it does for others, and this is another reason that I would feel uncomfortable taking up a space on an NHS diagnosis waiting list.

Many thanks in advance for your help :)

(PS - Yes I know I'm extremely lucky to be able to afford a private diagnosis - I'm only able to afford it because I was left a small amount of money when my alcoholic mother (who I believe also had AS) died last year. I'm certainly not rich by any means)

Parents
  • My diagnosis was private.  But that was following failed NHS assessment, which I didn't go via the GP route but via a therapist/psychologist.

You can just self-refer to a private one, you don't need to get your GP to refer you.

You can find one via this website: http://www.bps.org.uk/psychology-public/find-psychologist/find-psychologist you will need to make sure they are trained in diagnosing Asperger's though, and particularly in diagnosing females with it as the diagnostic criteria were researched on males and many clinicians are still ignorant about female presentation so you need to do your homework.

• My diagnosis was private.  But that was following failed NHS assessment, which I didn't go via the GP route but via a therapist/psychologist.

You can just self-refer to a private one, you don't need to get your GP to refer you.

You can find one via this website: http://www.bps.org.uk/psychology-public/find-psychologist/find-psychologist you will need to make sure they are trained in diagnosing Asperger's though, and particularly in diagnosing females with it as the diagnostic criteria were researched on males and many clinicians are still ignorant about female presentation so you need to do your homework.

Children
No Data