new to this

Hi everyone

Hubby and I took our four year old to paediatrician today who has referred us for an assessment as it appears she has a lot of autism traits although he couldn't say where on the spectrum she is.  She is having violent outbursts (with me as recipient) chewing, licking, being loud, obsessive about water, no social interaction with children, not sleeping well, can't concentrate etc etc etc.  It is a relief to finally be listened to and be referred for assessment.  Alongisde this she is due to start school in sept and I have started the statement process.  

I am desperately looking for help & support and he gave me this website address :-)   Just to know we aren't alone is great.

xx

Parents
  • thanks for the reply Crystal.  She is verbal but we do use a pictoral timetable too.  To complicate matters she has also got an attachment disorder which was diagnosed some time before signs of autism arose.  She is adopted and had a traumatic start in life.  She has a chew toy and we do stick to a rigid routine.  I think what worries us most is her temper.  It's me she likes to hit and she is already strong, she can throw some heavy items around and she has started to hurt herself  in frightening ways.  Her meltdowns are generaly after being asked to do something she doesnt want to do i.e. teeth, getting dressed and this is worse when she is tired.  She has been waking up 2/3 times per night for some months now and even when she seems to be asleep she is restless, flapping her hands around and grinding her teeth so is never really rested.  She has only been at preschool for three sessions for a short time, I really don't see how she is going to cope at school with no real support.  Because of her attachment issues, if she is away from me or dad the anxiety really comes out. 

I shall def be looking through the other posts for advice and support and I take on board what you say about bite size chunks.  Like most parents I would love to take all the stress away from her but at the moment I'm not sure how to manage it so it seems I have a lot to learn :-) 

• thanks for the reply Crystal.  She is verbal but we do use a pictoral timetable too.  To complicate matters she has also got an attachment disorder which was diagnosed some time before signs of autism arose.  She is adopted and had a traumatic start in life.  She has a chew toy and we do stick to a rigid routine.  I think what worries us most is her temper.  It's me she likes to hit and she is already strong, she can throw some heavy items around and she has started to hurt herself  in frightening ways.  Her meltdowns are generaly after being asked to do something she doesnt want to do i.e. teeth, getting dressed and this is worse when she is tired.  She has been waking up 2/3 times per night for some months now and even when she seems to be asleep she is restless, flapping her hands around and grinding her teeth so is never really rested.  She has only been at preschool for three sessions for a short time, I really don't see how she is going to cope at school with no real support.  Because of her attachment issues, if she is away from me or dad the anxiety really comes out. 

I shall def be looking through the other posts for advice and support and I take on board what you say about bite size chunks.  Like most parents I would love to take all the stress away from her but at the moment I'm not sure how to manage it so it seems I have a lot to learn :-) 

Children
No Data