Amitriptyline

To cut a long story short, I have had a lot of changes occur in my life lately that has resulted in my anxiety levels soaring to the point day-to-day life is becoming very difficult for me and I have realised I need to do something about it.

Past experience of taking anti-depressants has been very bad for me and I am also very hypersensitive to medication.  A visit to the GP today basically narrowed my options down to very little where the only real thing left is to try some medication to calm the anxiety.  Understandably I am reluctant, but there is no plan B, so I was wondering if anyone has any experience of taking Amitriptyline - interested to hear good and bad so I can weigh up whether I should take it or not.

• I use the Calm app regularly and it does help, but at the moment, things have become so bad that I need extra help with coping.  My anxiety has gone beyond what is within my capabilities of managing.

• Hmm doesn't sound too great if I am honest.  I am really torn what to do and I am wondering if to start taking them Friday evening to see how I cope with them over the weekend before starting work the following week.  Going to work like a zombie is not an option.

• They put me on that for sleep 25mg. Basically amitriptyline clears your mind. And it makes your tired drowsy and not hungry it is awful. I would suggest you try mindfulness and other natural ways to help you 

• I didn’t get on with amitriptyline but diazepam was fine though I needed stronger dosage to help ( anxiety pre mri scan and flying ) not sure it’s something used long term. I know the feeling of weighing up whether to take or not; my experience of antidepressants etc has not been good either so now err on the side of caution. But as we all react differently it maybe ok for you, your anxiety must be bad or you wouldn’t be considering it so perhaps if you gave yourself a time scale and tried to note any changes so you catch yourself if necessary.. Maybe others here had a better experience with it..