Shifting brain excitation/inhibition balance in autism spectrum

I've been notified about a research project being conducted at King's College in London.  Volunteers need to be aged 18 to 60 and with a confirmed diagnosis of ASC. 

The details state:

Autism Spectrum Condition (ASC) has highly diverse clinical presentations but also diverse possible biological causes. Research suggests that both core and co-occurring conditions might be partially due to an imbalance in two key brain molecules, glutamate and GABA (Gamma-aminobutyric acid). 

In this project we will measure the brain response before and after a single dose of a drug that acts in the GABA part of this system. We will use safe neuroimaging brain scans and also ask participants to perform simple tasks out of the scanner whilst recording their brain activity using a cap with sensors. 

Any thoughts on this kind of research?

• Anything that affects a minority - that isn't 'of the norm' - automatically gets considered in terms of negatives.  'He's not the same as we are, so there must be something wrong with him.'

When I was at school, my obvious differences were beyond the comprehension of my peers.  So they resorted to something that they could understand.  I was obviously gay!

It's why I fight shy of any therapies designed to 'correct' me, or better 'adapt' me to functioning in an NT world.  It's all about the way society is constructed around that 'norm', so people with disabilities, or people with other conditions, are invariably disadvantaged - and therefore become regarded as disadvantaged.

• I really don't like the suggestion that the autistic brain is automatically considered to be functioning less well than the other type of brain. Words like "imbalance", "deficit", "damage", etc. imply a system that works less well than its "normal" counterpart.

Is that why many of the greatest geniuses that ever lived are suspected to have been on the spectrum?

Oh but I bet they had trouble with making eye contact and small talk, so that must mean they had some sort of brain damage.

Sheesh!

Maybe it's everyone else's brain that doesn't work at its optimal power. After all, they are wasting all that grey matter on small talk and decyphering facial expressions, and figuring out what someone is actually saying (because nobody "normal" ever expresses what they really mean by the words they use - they're using eye contact and body language). All that extraneous brain power is something we use for thinking and logic, which is why, when everyone else at work is wasting time in meetings discussing what to do next, their colleagues on the spectrum are already working on the next thing and just need a bit of quiet to concentrate.

• Good points.  I had similar thoughts about alcohol and anti-anxiety drugs.  Yes, imbalance too is one of those suggestive words.  Like 'disorder'.

You're probably right, too, regarding drug company shareholders!

An anti-anxiety app?  Not come across that one. 

• First thought: alcohol acts on the GABA system. So do anti-anxiety drugs. Second thought: first sentence sounds right, but second mentions the word 'imbalance' which sounds like a pretty speculative hypothesis, neglecting even the structure of the brain. Remember when depression was regarded an 'imbalance' of a different neurotransmitter, an idea with a few bits of suggestive evidence in the 1970s, but described by Dr David Healy as far more marketing that science? Third thought: there are some GABA-related gene variants associated with autism, but they're common in the human population.

Research into biological causes is over-funded compared to areas that autistic people and their families want researched, such as social interventions. I've done EEGs before, but since I worry that this study would ultimately help drug company shareholders more than autistic people, I'd probably only do it if I thought I could learn something about myself. (The previous EEG confirmed I had a brain.)

I see today that Autistica's Discover programme is looking for iPhone users to test 'Molehill Mountain', an anti-anxiety app. Also London.