The Four Agreements

Does anybody here live by the Four Agreements? 

For anybody who is unfamiliar with them, they are ~

1. Be impeccable with your word

2. Don’t take anything personally 

3. Don’t make assumptions 

4. Always do your best 

and a later addition ~ 

5. Be skeptical but learn to listen. 

They are all based on Toltec Wisdom. 

I’m currently re-reading book one, The Four Agreements, and after a few more re-reads I’ll move on to some re-reads of the Fitth Agreement. 

It is said that if all of society practiced just one of the agreements, the world would change ~ but why stop at one? 

I love reading the books, they don’t teach me anything I don’t know but I love the way the author describes how a person can live by the five agreements and live in perfect bliss and happiness. 

With this book, there’s no need to understand the underlying laws that support these agreements but they can help a person to achieve perfect bliss regardless. 

I know plenty of people who have read the book but I don’t know anybody who practices the agreements, who has made a commitment to them in their everyday lives. 

What other inspiring books are people reading? 

Parents
  • 1. Everybody lies sometimes

2. Trust nobody absolutely

3. Embrace pessimism

4. Life is ultimately futile

5. Treat all religions with equal disdain

• Most people lie most of the time, they trust nobody, they embrace pessimism and believe that life is ultimately futile and they treat all religions with equal disdain, so if you’re autistic, congratulations, you are also very normal.

The people who think differently to this are in the minority, hence why we have wars and poverty and terrorists running around all over the place etc etc.

But fair play, well said, I think that’s the best description of normality that I’ve heard so far. 

I wouldn’t say he’s a renegade DC, unless I have misunderstood that word, I would say he’s of the upmost normal it’s just most people aren’t as honest.

They make me giggle they’re so accurate. 

• Most people lie most of the time, they trust nobody, they embrace pessimism and believe that life is ultimately futile and they treat all religions with equal disdain, so if you’re autistic, congratulations, you are also very normal.

The people who think differently to this are in the minority, hence why we have wars and poverty and terrorists running around all over the place etc etc.

But fair play, well said, I think that’s the best description of normality that I’ve heard so far. 

I wouldn’t say he’s a renegade DC, unless I have misunderstood that word, I would say he’s of the upmost normal it’s just most people aren’t as honest.

They make me giggle they’re so accurate. 

Children
  • you are such a Renegade

...When I wrote that, it was the first to Post such a thing in this Thead... yet now one of the greater masters of Wit upon this Forum has also Posted... and that is that! Thank You, Miss Elephant, very very much.   :-)

• You function more than well enough HeartI love love love the school rules HeartHeart

• p.p.s. Or I didn’t function well enough for them to be wanted to be kept.

• P.s.. they didn’t work x 

• Ahhhhhh number 4 is so touching, it’s so romantic. I love all of them. 3 and 4 wouldn’t work for me as that much holding would freak me out but I love the sentiment of them and if I was going to have a regular type of relationship with rules, I’d say they were pretty good rules, but alas, I’m not. 

• Don’t be an ass is just another way of saying be impeccable with your word, but in a way most of us can understand better than the original word.

Always give more than you receive is both a universal law and an excellent rule of business.

Be honest with others, again, is number one rehashed but the book would say be honest with yourself and you will naturally be honest with others.

Having hope is controversial. It’s what the big Christian religions sold to its members which got them (the religions) rich and kept the members poor and in constant hope. It’s disempowering. It’s like saying I can’t do anything for myself so I’ll give whatever power I do have to some invisible power that I can’t even be sure is real, and just, well ‘hope’ for the best.

What is more empowering is to do away with hope, take back your power and say, I might not know what to do right now, I might need some help and when I’m ready, I’m going to get the help I need to achieve whatever it is I want to achieve. Hope is for the hopeless but we are never hopeless until we say we are.

Oh, and if number one was written in your words, I’d probably have a harder time sticking to it because sometimes I think the only way to deal with asses is to be one Joy not helpful to anyone but sometimes weirdly  satisfying. 

• On a serious note, knowing I was a bit rubbish, the four rules I gave my OH were...

1. be honest
    2. no games
    3. try to keep me safe
    4. hold me at the end of every day

these were four key pillars, they don’t expect love or understanding, or interest in who I am... but there they are there

1. Don’t be a ***
    2. give more than you receive 
    3. be honest with others, but be true to yourself
    4. have hope