Advice and Signposting...

Hi you beautiful and marvellously unique folk!

I'm after a bit of help please, as I want either advice from your brilliant minds, or signposting to suitable resources please. Essentially, I'm after information on two topics:

ONE:

Does anyone know of a book (Academic Psychology genre?) or a website that has a list of clinical terms relating to the various traits and bio-cognitive phenomenon that Aspies are uniquely geared towards?

Rather than refer to "repeating social cues or behaviours" I know to call it 'social echolalia'. Likewise, rather than say "I have an unusually focused / restricted attention to a given subject" I know to call it 'monotropic attention'.

I'm thinking there must be all sorts of other pyscho-medical jargon out there that relates to autism... almost like a glossary of terms (essentially for me, it's about finding a clear-cut short hand). For example: what's the clinical term for 'black-and-white thinking' or for 'not liking change'? I just need to know where to look to find such a list.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TWO:

I - amongst other things - suffer the typical Aspie trait of rigid thinking (technically called...???!). But, whilst I know the effects and frustrations, I do not (academically that is) understand the underlying bio-cognitive process. Just what is it I'm rigid about? Is it a cognitive defense mechanism to combat the physiological stress caused by the perception of change? Are my actual cognitive strands just somehow more linear than neurotypicals, and less flexible? Is it something to do with an unusually strong (narrow?) attention?

Again, I was just wondering if anyone could elaborate on the dynamics and mechanisms of rigid thinking (as it relates to Aspies), or if anyone knew of an accessible resource?

(Polite Note: I would ask that if anyone is going to refer me to an external website, if they would be so kind as to provide a link - I get lost on the internet quite easily, and get frustrated when I can't find things that others reference by proxy!).

Thanks!

Parents Reply Children
No Data