Autism new treatment

Growing evidence suggests that a small minority of persons with autism progress to the point where they no longer meet the criteria for a diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder (ASD). Various theories exist as to why this happens. They include the possibility of an initial misdiagnosis, the possibility that some children mature out of certain forms of autism and the possibility that successful treatment can, in some instances, produce outcomes that no longer meet the criteria for an autism diagnosis.

• I'm not entirely sure that i'd want to be 'cured'.

I'm not ill / sick, just differently wired in a world that's not yet accepting of that. 

Do you want to be 'cured' Arran?  

• If it's true that the brains of people with autism are actually "wired" differently to those of neurotypical people, it's hard to see how anyone could grow out of it. Some can and do adapt their behaviour over time, to fit in better, but that doesn't mean they aren't autistic any more. It's like when a blind person navigates their way easily round their own home, because they've learnt where everything is. They haven't stopped being blind.

• I’m wondering if nt’s could ever progress to the stage where they now qualify for a diagnosis of autism! If, on the other hand, going from nd to nt, is classed as progression, I’d rather regress and stay as I am. 

• I'm open to the fact that there are possible cures for ASD. It just suits the NAS and the NHS (financially?) that ASD is incurable.

Have a look at my post about AS and reading

community.autism.org.uk/.../is-as-caused-by-teaching-children-to-read-at-too-young-an-age

• There are also statements that it can get worse as you get older and I am finding this - is it because I am maturing out of masking?! 

Perhaps it is because masking is so draining that as you get older the less you mask.

I find masking far too tiring to keep it up to levels of my younger days.

• I am sceptical that such evidence exists. Are you able to provide links to such evidence?

Someone who has been misdiagnosed has not progressed 'to the point where they no longer meet the criteria for a diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder' because they never met the criteria in the first place.

I would not be surprised to learn that some people become very good at masking the 'symptoms' of autism.

By the way, I believe it is long overdue for 'autism spectrum disorder' to be replaced by 'autism spectrum condition' as the latter is a more appropriate description.

• I'm a bit to cynical to embrace that, it sounds like certain newspaper trying to sell the front page, the daily scare or something! 

Small minority.... possibility....

mature out of autism? or develop masking techniques to fit in?! 

There are also statements that it can get worse as you get older and I am finding this - is it because I am maturing out of masking?!