TW - ASD and suicide prevention

Are there any suicide prevention support services aimed specifically at people with ASD? I'm not sure what I'm actually asking for in particular. I have a strong urge to hurt myself but traditional helplines are not good for me because I can't speak on the phone. I use the Samaritans email service, but I have noted a pattern in their responses which makes me suspect that I might not be communicating with an actual person on the other side. Besides, I have a fairly immediate plan and email response takes some time. 

I just want someone to understand that I don't want to be autistic any more. The daily effort I expend to do things that other people take for granted is greater than the sum of the rewards I get for trying. The only way I can think of to get a rest is to switch my brain off permanently. I would appreciate someone who could guide me towards a different strategy that works. 

Parents
  • Hi mate,

All I can say is... I've been in that place several times myself.  Suffice it to say that I'm lucky to be here.  All of this was before I got my diagnosis.  Since getting it, nearly 3 years ago, my mental health has improved.  No longer do I feel the pressure of trying to do things that others take for granted, simply to fit in with them.  I no longer want to fit in with them.  I look at what they do and think I'd just prefer not to be like that. 

It works for me, which isn't to say it will work for everyone.  I accept who I am now.  If others can't, that's their problem - not mine.

Sorry I can't help any more than that.  It's just that it's the strategy that works for me.  Plus thinking that the only way I can find out if life can improve for me is to give it the chance to.

Take care,

Tom

• Hi mate,

All I can say is... I've been in that place several times myself.  Suffice it to say that I'm lucky to be here.  All of this was before I got my diagnosis.  Since getting it, nearly 3 years ago, my mental health has improved.  No longer do I feel the pressure of trying to do things that others take for granted, simply to fit in with them.  I no longer want to fit in with them.  I look at what they do and think I'd just prefer not to be like that. 

It works for me, which isn't to say it will work for everyone.  I accept who I am now.  If others can't, that's their problem - not mine.

Sorry I can't help any more than that.  It's just that it's the strategy that works for me.  Plus thinking that the only way I can find out if life can improve for me is to give it the chance to.

Take care,

Tom

Children
No Data