The toxic interaction between Autism and Narcissism

I've been looking into psychosocial dynamics of why a developmental disorder and and a personality disorder can be so destructive to the wellbeing of both individual sufferers when in the presence of one another. They appear to operate as polar opposites in terms of dysfunctions of nature.

• A narcissist project hurt down to others to get them to satisfy their needs.
  • An autist reflect hurt back to themselves into a meltdown of needs.
  • NT's simply help each other with their needs.

The solution to this is to break apart the cycle of suffering that enables the perpetuated spiral of emotionally negative transactions. Physical distancing may very well be necessary to help the situation of toxic transmissions of hate and fear.

Once separated, realisation of ones own grief is necessary to ensure that psychic losses are contained and accepted within the confines of their own environment. Only when awareness of compromised psychic defences has been realised that healing can truely take place without risk of future breakdown. Any length of intervention can only be determined by the end users decision making capacity for their own welfare.

Please note that these are my own thoughts as a male aspie that has been brought up by narcissistic mother for almost 2 decades and is still struggling with the fallout of psych-ache.

Parents
  • I'm puzzled, and hoping someone can explain. [Hopefully I can also avoid a torrent of abuse from you all...(!)]

It seems like nearly all of you have encountered narcissistic individuals and have horror stories to tell. But whenever I look at websites about narcissistic behaviour, they mention things like lack of empathy, anxiety and need to have things "their way"... all of which sound to me like symptoms of ASC?

Because of the sheer number of folk claiming to have suffered at the hands of narcissists, I am wondering whether the world really is full of them, or whether some of us are somehow projecting things onto others? I.e. Could it be the case that our own cognitive failings increase the chances that we will perceive narcissism in someone who is actually entirely innocent?

i did a narcissism test myself, but it said I display something called echoism, which somehow seems to be the opposite of narcissism?

• I'm puzzled, and hoping someone can explain. [Hopefully I can also avoid a torrent of abuse from you all...(!)]

It seems like nearly all of you have encountered narcissistic individuals and have horror stories to tell. But whenever I look at websites about narcissistic behaviour, they mention things like lack of empathy, anxiety and need to have things "their way"... all of which sound to me like symptoms of ASC?

Because of the sheer number of folk claiming to have suffered at the hands of narcissists, I am wondering whether the world really is full of them, or whether some of us are somehow projecting things onto others? I.e. Could it be the case that our own cognitive failings increase the chances that we will perceive narcissism in someone who is actually entirely innocent?

i did a narcissism test myself, but it said I display something called echoism, which somehow seems to be the opposite of narcissism?

Children
  • NPD is a personality disorder whereas ASD is a developmental disorder. I would bet and say that alot of ASD people are blunt but have authentic souls. That is not the case for NPD, there is a calculation, an intentional motive or manipulation. There is however a cross over of symptoms for certain things but the intent is very different. However this is complex because there are instances where people have both conditions but this is very rare. More often than not, a highly empathetic ASD individual will gaslight themselves, due to the judgements from neurotypical people and internalise their ignorant & false perspective. Please be mindful of this and anyone, even NPDs, can seek professional help :))