Keeping fit

I am curious as to how other people stay fit and healthy on the forums.

My fitness levels are not great at the moment so I am thinking about what I can do to get back into a routine.  My energy levels are very low so need to build something up gradually, but would like to get back into cycling again as I do miss it.

What about you?  What is your approach to health and fitness? 

Parents
  • I have found that routine is absolutely key, especially with some kind of external motivation, i.e. attending regular classes.  I do yoga and always intend to get into a routine at home but if I don't attend a regular yoga class it just doesn't happen.  Oh I'll do it tomorrow, oh a couple of days won't hurt, oh I can't fit it in today, etc.  When I attend a weekly class I find that I am more motivated to keep practising a few times a week so that I don't fall behind in class.

Also I have to admit that the fitness app things have helped to keep me motivated too.  I'm usually anti-tech for things but I started recording my steps over a year ago and have continued to monitor them.  I also added other activity and now I have my own activity goals which I monitor.

I have cancer so I have to be careful with my energy, but then I also have to keep fit.  So I think that has kept me motivated.  If my activity levels drop I start to wonder whether it's an energy blip or whether it's the symptoms starting again.  That gives me a blast of motivation because I don't want to feel ill again.  If it's an energy blip then I should come through it and be able to increase my activity again.

Diet - I don't think there is a one size fits all.  You have to go with your body.  I am generally low carb but don't worry about fats as long as they are the right types of fat.  Our body needs fat.  Now the weather is a bit colder I have increased my carb intake as I can feel that I need the energy it provides at the moment.  But I still keep plenty of fruit and veg in my diet.  There's a lot of discussion about whether you should have fruit or not given that it has sugar in it but I do have 2-3 pieces of fruit a day and try to make sure that I have different types of fruit.  I tend to have around 6-7 portions of veg a day, again trying to make sure it's a good mix of different types.  Processed sugar is of course evil, but unfortunately does contribute to an occasional tasty treat (mmm fruit crumble).

• I have found that routine is absolutely key, especially with some kind of external motivation, i.e. attending regular classes.  I do yoga and always intend to get into a routine at home but if I don't attend a regular yoga class it just doesn't happen.  Oh I'll do it tomorrow, oh a couple of days won't hurt, oh I can't fit it in today, etc.  When I attend a weekly class I find that I am more motivated to keep practising a few times a week so that I don't fall behind in class.

Also I have to admit that the fitness app things have helped to keep me motivated too.  I'm usually anti-tech for things but I started recording my steps over a year ago and have continued to monitor them.  I also added other activity and now I have my own activity goals which I monitor.

I have cancer so I have to be careful with my energy, but then I also have to keep fit.  So I think that has kept me motivated.  If my activity levels drop I start to wonder whether it's an energy blip or whether it's the symptoms starting again.  That gives me a blast of motivation because I don't want to feel ill again.  If it's an energy blip then I should come through it and be able to increase my activity again.

Diet - I don't think there is a one size fits all.  You have to go with your body.  I am generally low carb but don't worry about fats as long as they are the right types of fat.  Our body needs fat.  Now the weather is a bit colder I have increased my carb intake as I can feel that I need the energy it provides at the moment.  But I still keep plenty of fruit and veg in my diet.  There's a lot of discussion about whether you should have fruit or not given that it has sugar in it but I do have 2-3 pieces of fruit a day and try to make sure that I have different types of fruit.  I tend to have around 6-7 portions of veg a day, again trying to make sure it's a good mix of different types.  Processed sugar is of course evil, but unfortunately does contribute to an occasional tasty treat (mmm fruit crumble).

Children
No Data