Keeping fit

I am curious as to how other people stay fit and healthy on the forums.

My fitness levels are not great at the moment so I am thinking about what I can do to get back into a routine.  My energy levels are very low so need to build something up gradually, but would like to get back into cycling again as I do miss it.

What about you?  What is your approach to health and fitness? 

Parents
  • I have fibromyalgia and so struggle greatly with exercise fatigue. I would say add things gradually. I started not even being able to get up a flight of stairs and my muscles had become so weak that I could barely support myself properly. I started out with a few exercises from a pilates routine and gentle walking and slowly built up. I am now averaging 2-3 hours a week (two dance classes and a yoga class) plus extra walking and home exercises when I can. I have also been to quite a lot of sessions of physio therapy which have really helped as they have helped me target the areas where I struggle most. This has been over a period of 3/4 years. 

Also as said before quitting sugar has helped greatly along with cutting back on meat. I have just started on the Patrick Holdford Low GL style diet and been finding things much easier energy wise. 

• I have fibromyalgia and so struggle greatly with exercise fatigue. I would say add things gradually. I started not even being able to get up a flight of stairs and my muscles had become so weak that I could barely support myself properly. I started out with a few exercises from a pilates routine and gentle walking and slowly built up. I am now averaging 2-3 hours a week (two dance classes and a yoga class) plus extra walking and home exercises when I can. I have also been to quite a lot of sessions of physio therapy which have really helped as they have helped me target the areas where I struggle most. This has been over a period of 3/4 years. 

Also as said before quitting sugar has helped greatly along with cutting back on meat. I have just started on the Patrick Holdford Low GL style diet and been finding things much easier energy wise. 

Children
  • This is how I have been much of the time using a stroller to get about and so after my last bout of fatigue and being ill I suddenly decided enough was enough and so making this attempt to do the couch to 5k. My jog is other people’s stroll or walk but that doesn’t matter because it’s giving me a goal and someone coaching and encouraging me whilst I try. Not very easy in icy weather but the rest day/s suit me. Plus I find routine really difficult to stick to and don’t know when I’m going to need a sofa day so it’s flexibility suits me. It’s encouraging to know you have fibromyalgia too and managed to build up to so much activity.

I started not even being able to get up a flight of stairs and my muscles had become so weak that I could barely support myself properly.