Poor Oral Hygiene

Hi all,

I was just wondering if poor oral hygiene could be as a result of my autism? There’s something about toothpaste that I just don’t like and while I make an effort to clean my teeth at least once a day it’s a struggle. And going to the dentist just sends my anxiety through the roof so I generally avoid going unless I have to.

Does any of this sound familiar? And what workarounds are there to improve my oral health?

Graham

Parents
  • I've had problems managing to do my teeth for years due to sensory issues.  I've made a big effort to combat this recently though by making a few changes.  I use an electric toothbrush now which vibrates every 30 seconds and then at 2 minutes so I'm aware of when it's going to be over.  This massively reduces my anxiety around brushing by knowing there's a fixed end point.  I make sure that any water I use is at room temperature (not too cold).  I've also switched to using a toothpaste called Oranurse which us unflavoured and doesn't foam.  It's completely changed my oral hygiene routine and I'm looking forward to seeing my dentist now for the very first time so they can see the difference.

• I've had problems managing to do my teeth for years due to sensory issues.  I've made a big effort to combat this recently though by making a few changes.  I use an electric toothbrush now which vibrates every 30 seconds and then at 2 minutes so I'm aware of when it's going to be over.  This massively reduces my anxiety around brushing by knowing there's a fixed end point.  I make sure that any water I use is at room temperature (not too cold).  I've also switched to using a toothpaste called Oranurse which us unflavoured and doesn't foam.  It's completely changed my oral hygiene routine and I'm looking forward to seeing my dentist now for the very first time so they can see the difference.

Children
No Data