Auditory Processing Disorder (APD) (with ASD)- any suggestions for improving?

Anyone else dealing with this combo? ASD diagnosis was earlier this year; psych called for APD testing. The audiologist was amazing but it turns out I scored really poorly (grrr). Perhaps it does explains how I miss so much of what gets said. 

Would like to learn how to differentiate which verbal processing issues have ASD as root, and which have APD.

But anyway, anyone had any effective improvement techniques for APD? Would like to get better at processing incoming sounds (extreme sound sensitivity impedes).

Would improving focus somehow help? Any games or activities that could train my verbal processor a bit? :)

~optimistic

Parents
  • I've just been checking in the internet about APD.  I also have these problems.  Sometimes I miss hear words. I hear something different.  Or not understand what people are saying.

When watching TV or DVDs, I always turn on the subtitles.  That way I get the information in two ways.  Sometimes what I read and hear is contradictory.  On DVDs i rewind and watch /listen to it again.  And the second time the subtitle agrees with the spoken word .   So my hearing was in error.

• I've just been checking in the internet about APD.  I also have these problems.  Sometimes I miss hear words. I hear something different.  Or not understand what people are saying.

When watching TV or DVDs, I always turn on the subtitles.  That way I get the information in two ways.  Sometimes what I read and hear is contradictory.  On DVDs i rewind and watch /listen to it again.  And the second time the subtitle agrees with the spoken word .   So my hearing was in error.

Children
  • Subtitles are helpful! I'm surprised you are able to process the written at the same time as the heard. I can't do that.. it's one at the exclusion of the other really. Actually once subtitles are showing, I only hear the words as sounds. Perhaps my brain is happier to stop processing the sound as verbal. The brain is finicky imho