Should I stop taking my meds?

I have been taking Fluoxetine for many years now, for what the doctors say is depression. I am currently waiting for my referral to be tested for ASD and I was wondering if I should come off the meds before? Fluoxetine helps me a lot with my anxiety and my patience with everybody around me. It takes twice as much to stress me out as it would usually, off the meds. I have tried stopping several times but every time I end up shouting at my kids and my husband feels like I shut him out even more than usual. I'm just thinking if it will have an impact on the test? Don't I need to be the real me to give them real answers? 

Parents
  • Hi Lone,

Just chiming in to say that I think lamme81 is quite right, it can be very dangerous to stop taking SSRIs without consultation from your doctor, especially if you've been on them for several years, as you say. The side effects of stopping cold can be unexpected and quite strong, so I think it would be best to consult your GP, and raise your concerns about the effects of Fluoxetine on your ASD assessment with them.

Best wishes,

Ross - mod

• Hi Lone,

Just chiming in to say that I think lamme81 is quite right, it can be very dangerous to stop taking SSRIs without consultation from your doctor, especially if you've been on them for several years, as you say. The side effects of stopping cold can be unexpected and quite strong, so I think it would be best to consult your GP, and raise your concerns about the effects of Fluoxetine on your ASD assessment with them.

Best wishes,

Ross - mod

Children
No Data