Eye contact-such a tricky one.

I don't like to make eye contact but make myself do so because it's expected when you are interacting with people. I am never sure how long is too long though, and whether I'm over compensating  or not. After all there's not making eye contact vs outright staring at someone.

Parents
  • I can maintain it for about one second - no longer.  That's always been the case.  I always assumed this was quite normal.  But I've had many job interviews where the feedback has included 'Could not maintain eye contact with the interviewer'.  Since my diagnosis a few years ago, many people have said to me 'I had my suspicions, because you don't do eye contact.' 

Recently, at work training, we each had to pair off with another person to do an exercise.  I hate this kind of thing, anyway... but we were then told 'You have to stand about arm's length apart from your partner and look them directly in the eyes.  Then, without breaking eye contact, move closer and closer to them until you're about six inches apart.'  Horror!!  I couldn't do it.  I had to stare at the top of the person's head.

I haven't a clue how long it's supposed to be maintained.  The whole time you're talking to them, I assume.

• I can maintain it for about one second - no longer.  That's always been the case.  I always assumed this was quite normal.  But I've had many job interviews where the feedback has included 'Could not maintain eye contact with the interviewer'.  Since my diagnosis a few years ago, many people have said to me 'I had my suspicions, because you don't do eye contact.' 

Recently, at work training, we each had to pair off with another person to do an exercise.  I hate this kind of thing, anyway... but we were then told 'You have to stand about arm's length apart from your partner and look them directly in the eyes.  Then, without breaking eye contact, move closer and closer to them until you're about six inches apart.'  Horror!!  I couldn't do it.  I had to stare at the top of the person's head.

I haven't a clue how long it's supposed to be maintained.  The whole time you're talking to them, I assume.

Children
No Data