I need some advice on whether or asperges or something related

Hi everyone,

So begin with, since birth ive never been the 'same' as everyone else. Everything Ive wanted to do i become extremely obsessed with, so obsessed i dont care about amything or anyone on life apart from that paticular subject i am focused on. I dont care about seeing friends or family all i want to do is focus, research all day, and live my life around that paticular subject. subjects i dont wanna do. i fail and i dont care. subject i want to do i learn to the extreme, i have to know absolutely everything in tjat paticular subject.  Ive never known anything different from this until people tell me its not normal, and even then i still do not see this a problem. For example, since i started fitness when i 14, i am now 24 years old. And i have to drink exactly 4 litres of water a day, eat exactly 6 meals meals, the same foods. I dont care whether i am at work or whatever if i have to eat i will eat. If i cannot eat at the exact time i will become extremely stressed and angry like the worst thing in the world has happened (and to me it is)...my current obsessions, i study IT programming etc 12 hours a day which ive been doing for 5 years and dont stop. From the momment i wake up i think about something new or a problem to fix or something in It. Since birth, i cannot touch or think about certain objects at all such as sand or polystyrene , loud noises such as drills, power tools will send me into pure rage until they stop. I have to cover my ears if i hear any if these noises. I also have to constantly flex my hands and wrists about every 2 minutes like an obsession. I have nightmares most nights since birth. When i am in a dream i know im dreaming and can walk about freely in a dream and control it like as if i was awake in real life. I have just started uni, and i dont ever socialize, i dont really know how to to be honest. The only way i can socialize is if i drink a bottle of Jack Daniels. I prefer to eat lunch alone and not speak to anyone, i also dont really smile unless i really know someone and they smile and talk to me first..which leads to everyone asking me if im depressed....i have been diagnosed with severe anxiety and depression when i was 17 but i now believe it is more than this.......i have taken these online asperges tests and they all say basicly i 100 percent have asperges....the main reason for me suddenly talking about it is because my new uni tutor pulled me aside a few days ago and asked if i suffered with depression. So i said no. She then asked me if i have autism or asperges or any related problems and that i should talk about it if i do....of course i said no because nobody professional has ever told me i have. I want to go to doctors because my way of life and my obsessions will probably end me up in some sort problem one day, and tbh theu have been a problem all my life loosing friends etc. .....i jist feel embarassed going to doctors because i feel as if there going to just think im lying or just send me away as this is the feeling i get from doctors. Any advice on what to do would be great. Thanks

• NAS24967 said:
    How would I go about talking to a doctor, I get worried incase a doctor wont take me seriously, not to sure how i should go about talking to the doctor.

It's hard, I know - but you need to be firm on it.  Tell the doctor about your issues.  Tell them that you've taken the test, and the score you got, and what that indicates.  Say you would like to be referred.  They may start saying things like 'If you were autistic, you would be flapping your hands', or 'If you were autistic, you wouldn't be functioning as well as you do,' etc.  GPs generally have little idea.  My own GP doesn't know anything about it, but she's at least prepared to listen to me and be guided by me.  Which is what GPs should do, really.    I was lucky in that I had a counsellor's back-up - but my GP was still happy to go ahead.  It may even be possible - I don't know - for you to take someone with you to your GP (a parent, perhaps), who would be prepared to back you up on it.

• Hi Dogsbody,

Thank you for your reply, I just took the test and scored 37.

How would I go about talking to a doctor, I get worried incase a doctor wont take me seriously, not to sure how i should go about talking to the doctor.

• Same here.  In fact, 2 seconds for me would be 'normal' eye contact.  Anything else is extremely uncomfortable - or, rather, impossible.  I'd say you are one of us for sure Slight smile

• I should also mention, i can look people in the eyes for about 2-3 seconds if i really push myself. But if someone is talking  to me with direct eye contact such as my uni tutor, i cannot look them, i have to look at them for a second. Look down at a pen for 5 seconds. Eye contact for 2 seconds. Down at the same pen for 5 seconds. And i believe this is a reason for her concern

• Sounds familiar, mate.  Have you taken the AQ test?  That's the usual pre-diagnostic.  Scores over 31 are indicative.

Have a go...

AQ Test

It works, too.  An NT friend of mine took it and scored 5.

Don't be embarrassed about going to your GP.  Do the test, see how you do, then approach your GP and ask for a referral.  Don't suggest it to see what they think.  Ask for it. 

Welcome here, anyway.