Chris Packham and me

I put on this show looking forward to seeing a bit more about Chris as I have always loved his presenting style and encyclopedic knowledge (and his habit of shoe-horning Damned song titles into the script).

As soon as he described how his thought processes work my jaw hit the floor. Mine are identical and I never, for a minute, thought it was not the way other people think. I just assumed everyone thought like that, As the programme went on it was just one more "same here" moment after another. I have always be terrible at reading people and awkward socially but just I was very introverted. Also I am very analytical (I work as a computer programmer) and can spot bad code patterns and solve complex problems very well usually in my head without having to resort to paper unlike the vast majority of coders I have worked with.

Took the AQ test today onlne and scored 39. I know it is not 100% reliable but it pretty indicative.

I am 53 so this has all come as rather a surprise (not so to my current partner who suspected but was too polite to point anything out)

Is there any point going for a formal diagnosis? Don't think it will actually change anything materially.

Anyway Hello

Parents
  • Hi mate.  I'm 60 and finally got my diagnosis four years ago.  I'd say go for it every time.  For me, it wasn't about the support it would enable me to get (hardly any), but about having validation.  Getting that piece of paper (or, actually, 17 pages) enabled me to make sense of my life at last.  Since getting it, my mental health problems - which have plagued me for years - have improved.  I've also got something concrete to show to my employers, and can expect reasonable adjustments (instead of just being dismissed, as in the past, as 'over-fussy' and 'demanding'). 

But it's up to you.  Many are happy to remain self-diagnosed.  I needed separate, professional verification.  And now I've got it, and I rest easier.

If you go back a few pages on the Forum home page, you'll find several related threads about 'diagnosis or not' which might help you to make your decision.  Good luck.

• Thanks for the advice - I will have a ponder and maybe call the GP.

Will also have a look at the forum posts first though.

It is a strange thing to find out about yourself at this age but helps explain a lot that has happened in my lfe

Reply Children
No Data