AUTISTIC PEOPLE ON THE (N.A.S.) INTERNET, AND "HOW-TO" USE IT.

I am new to this WHOLE "Internet/post/thread/blog" business... but I am NOT new to being able to write lucidly or how to use computers at all. NAS gives some "rules" but they are not all that clear. Mostly they say that you should do things which 'are okay as if the entire affair were RATED UNDER 15 if it were a classified as a movie'. But AUTISTIC persons like me make mistakes in "INTERNET-MANNER" without realising it... and so this "thread" or whatever invites rules CLARIFYING anything. I hope anyone understands, and "posts" something helpful.
For examples: One *not* stated rule seems to be: DO NOT WRITE IN CAPITAL LETTERS! But there seems to be no other way to emphasise certain words, e.g. no ITALLICS are available.
Another thing I have noticed is that people are very quick to tap the "unlike" button, but are much less likely to tap the "like" button, even in giving a genuine "Thank You", and yet all "views" are counted anyway.
Lastly, on some devices, "hints and tips" flashes up and then disappears so fast, that it is as if it is only there to satisfy "legal reasons" rather than to be helpful to anyone...
...I also attempt to start this "thread/blog" in apology at anyone I have so far "offended" but I don't know WHY OR HOW I did so!
Thus I also appreciate feedback about "understanding" or "hate" in general - for "AUTISTIC people on the Internet" ONLY (not concerning society in general, please)... For even here, on NAS, there seems to be no-place where Autistic Adults THEMSELVES have a forum... or for those "Autistic 'children' who know how to program a computer"...?

Parents
  • Hello, DC, I don't tend to offend people because I have so little self confidence that I don't say what I think to the point that I'm not always sure who I am anymore.  I would like to try to explain how you came across to me in the other thread, maybe it will help us all understand each other a bit better?

Firstly I think your use of tons of capital letters and quotation marks makes what you have written seem aggressive (I was the one who said 'shouty'); it seems like you are perfectly good at using normal punctuation to good effect, which is mostly all you need to place emphasis where required.  Depending on the device you are using there are ways of using bold and italics but I find them to work erratically, in fact a lot of things about the mechanics of this forum work erratically, you just get used to it's foibles.

On the whole people are much quicker to hit the like button, rarely is the unlike button hit, but you were a new name to me so I had no context and I found what you wrote, or rather the way you had written it to be quite rude and hurtful to the original poster, any parent of a young autistic child is likely to be quite stressed and sensitive.  I was hurt on their behalf but I understand that you have tried to explain how it was a misunderstanding rather than intention to be hurtful.

Lastly the Adult, Parent, Health etc. forums aren't really separate, on the home page where it shows most recent posts, it shows all of them from across the forums so I think many people read all or most of them and respond if there is anything they can offer, or just read and feel connected to the human race in some sense.  Under sixteens are not allowed on here for whatever reason.  You don't have to be autistic to be here, carers, friends, parents, professionals, partners along with all ages and abilities of autistic people can read and comment.  Hope I haven't offended you.

• Hello, DC, I don't tend to offend people because I have so little self confidence that I don't say what I think to the point that I'm not always sure who I am anymore.  I would like to try to explain how you came across to me in the other thread, maybe it will help us all understand each other a bit better?

Firstly I think your use of tons of capital letters and quotation marks makes what you have written seem aggressive (I was the one who said 'shouty'); it seems like you are perfectly good at using normal punctuation to good effect, which is mostly all you need to place emphasis where required.  Depending on the device you are using there are ways of using bold and italics but I find them to work erratically, in fact a lot of things about the mechanics of this forum work erratically, you just get used to it's foibles.

On the whole people are much quicker to hit the like button, rarely is the unlike button hit, but you were a new name to me so I had no context and I found what you wrote, or rather the way you had written it to be quite rude and hurtful to the original poster, any parent of a young autistic child is likely to be quite stressed and sensitive.  I was hurt on their behalf but I understand that you have tried to explain how it was a misunderstanding rather than intention to be hurtful.

Lastly the Adult, Parent, Health etc. forums aren't really separate, on the home page where it shows most recent posts, it shows all of them from across the forums so I think many people read all or most of them and respond if there is anything they can offer, or just read and feel connected to the human race in some sense.  Under sixteens are not allowed on here for whatever reason.  You don't have to be autistic to be here, carers, friends, parents, professionals, partners along with all ages and abilities of autistic people can read and comment.  Hope I haven't offended you.

Children
No Data