To Get A Formal Diagnosis or Not? ADVICE please!

I visited my GP yesterday and spoke to her for the first time about Aspie’s. She said that she would refer me if I wanted but posed the question what would it achieve? Or rather what would I want to achieve? What are my reasons for seeking one? 

I need some opinions and experience about self-diagnosis vs formal diagnosis...I have some reasons already which I will inevitably list at some point...

but for now I’m just interested in a general opinion so I can make the choice a little easier...

many thanks for your helps!

Parents
  • Hello Danny.  I'm 60 and got my diagnosis a few years ago, in my 50s.  I wanted a diagnosis for personal reasons.  I wanted proper confirmation, on paper, by a professional, that I had a condition.  I'd had enough of going through my life buffeted from pillar to post by mental health people, not understanding what was wrong with me, not knowing why I had difficulties in so many areas of my life.  The diagnosis, when it came, was a 'Eureka' moment for me.  I feel so much better for having it.  It's like I've now got all the answers, and I can hold this thing up to the world and say 'Look!  Here's proof that I'm not crazy!'

I told my manager about it at work, and she was unfazed.  She just wanted a letter confirming it, to go on my file.  But she also said 'If you need anything, just ask.'  I suppose that makes me lucky.  As for other help... there isn't much out there for someone my age.  But it doesn't bother me, really.  That piece of paper is, for me, therapy enough.

I'd always say, to anyone who asks me, go for it.  Why not?  What is there to lose?  But really, it's up to you and how you feel.  Many people choose to stay self-diagnosed, which is fair enough.  But for me, the diagnosis has been priceless.  Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

• Hello Danny.  I'm 60 and got my diagnosis a few years ago, in my 50s.  I wanted a diagnosis for personal reasons.  I wanted proper confirmation, on paper, by a professional, that I had a condition.  I'd had enough of going through my life buffeted from pillar to post by mental health people, not understanding what was wrong with me, not knowing why I had difficulties in so many areas of my life.  The diagnosis, when it came, was a 'Eureka' moment for me.  I feel so much better for having it.  It's like I've now got all the answers, and I can hold this thing up to the world and say 'Look!  Here's proof that I'm not crazy!'

I told my manager about it at work, and she was unfazed.  She just wanted a letter confirming it, to go on my file.  But she also said 'If you need anything, just ask.'  I suppose that makes me lucky.  As for other help... there isn't much out there for someone my age.  But it doesn't bother me, really.  That piece of paper is, for me, therapy enough.

I'd always say, to anyone who asks me, go for it.  Why not?  What is there to lose?  But really, it's up to you and how you feel.  Many people choose to stay self-diagnosed, which is fair enough.  But for me, the diagnosis has been priceless.  Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Children
  • Thank you for taking the time to write a reply, I agree with your thoughts about the validation, I said to the doctor that I know there is something not quite typical about me and have been searching for what it is, I need something to show other people and say ‘look you have a go at me and want me to behave in your way but I can’t and here’s why!’ I’m not looking for anything else, although beinag covered by the disability discrimination would have been helpful in my last two jobs!) 

How has it been at work for you since formal diagnosis? 

Thank you again for sharing your experience, I appreciate it.