Really struggling

I am so sorry to post again, I just don't know where to turn to help myself in my situation. I have previously mentioned that I have started a course part-time and some volunteer work.

I am three weeks in on the course and two weeks in volunteering. The course is a struggle. It involves a lot of practical work with working in two or threes. A lot of focus on what the other s saying and having a response. It is something I wanted to work towards career wise, but wonder if it is a little too far to reach. I have had some people think it is a good idea to do the course and others who think it is bad choice. So at the moment I am doing it day by day, but feel concerned that I will one day quit.

The volunteering as I mentioned is with children. There are two of us and the other person leads the session, so does all the explaining of tasks and summarising what they are learning. From day one I have struggled to interact with the children. It may seem silly, but I find even the smallest interaction is difficult. For example a child may say their leg hurts. I just don't know what to say, yet the other volunteer is so natural and may ask "oh I am sorry, do you know why it hurts". There are all of these small interactions, my mind is just blank. If the children are doing a physical activity. The other volunteer may give small instructions "keep head facing straight ahead" or "well done you are doing great". None of this comes to mind. Very rarely I may be able to say "you are doing well", but it is very rare. I just find it so difficult. I mentioned briefly to the lead volunteer that I struggle to know what to say and when to say things. That I was stressing out. They were great about it and said I was doing good and that I should just be myself. That if I need prior information on what the next session is then she can let me know etc.

I thought it would help, but I have just come from a session and I feel awful. It has been a huge shock struggling so badly. Now I feel deflated and feel I am just going along to make numbers up. That I am not really volunteering because I am not joining in. It is horrible to feel this way. 

I don't know what else I can do. The thing is if I stop the course and the volunteer work it will have a bad effect on my mood and I know I am just holding it together now. Not sure who to turn to because those closest to me already expect me to quit and I cannot mention my struggles. I have often been told that if I don't change my life will always be this way. 

It has taken so much for me to even study and volunteer. I am just scared that if I can't maintain it my mental health will suffer. I just don't know what my options are. I mean obviously I am hearing the interactions between the lead volunteer and the children. I can see how the interactions work, but I cannot do it myself. I feel like a loser who can't even hold a conversation.

I am really sorry for posting again.

Parents
  • No please don't apologise for posting again. It's absolutely fine,  really it is. First of all you had a goal, you worked towards it and you're actually doing it. That's great. Really hard to do but you've done it. Secondly, you're doing 2 newish things at once, studying and volunteering. You've given yourself a lot to do and a lot to get used to. Again, that's great. Thirdly, everyone takes time to settle into something new but we often take longer and that's ok. And you are learning new skills which again take time. Listen to your lead volunteer.. be yourself and you're doing fine so that's ok they can see your potential. So if you can don't stop just yet, give yourself a bit more time, tell yourself it's ok you are learning, when we are learning we can't do everything naturally straight away, we have to practice, so remember that you are practicing. It's really hard when the session hasn't gone well and you know it and you feel like not only have you let yourself down but others too. I have an more than one horrendous teaching practice one of which I failed but I had others that I really enjoyed and in the end I passed.  So is your goal something you are still keen on? And if this is one way to achieve that just keep reminding yourself you are on a stepping stone. You are doing this for you not for those who think you ought to change. Change can be good and positive and helpful but enforced change to please others is not. Is this a permanent volunteering role or does it have a specific time schedule?  If it's permanent you know you are giving yourself a good chance to learn and you can give yourself time. Or you can tell yourself I'll give it a chance til Christmas or Easter to see if I feel more comfortable. If you are still uncomfortable then don't stay because that's not good for you either. How often are you going? Is it for a couple of hours, daily ? Sometimes on placements I found going one day a week harder than being there for a full week because it gives you a better chance to settle in. What are the parts of the volunteering you can do? Can you be the one to get everyone drinks and snacks? Can you be the one who tidies away and cleans up? Can you be the one taking the children to the loo if they are little nursery age? Are you out doorsy.. are there things outside you can do? Are your interests something you can share? Is there a way you can contribute sort of more in the background or could you try reading stories instead of conversation? I hope your next volunteering day is better. Let me know how you get on. 

• Thank you so much for taking the time to respond and offer of support. You have made some valid points. Thank you for sharing that you yourself have had experience of both good and bad with teaching practice.

In terms of my goal and if it is something I still want to work towards I am not sure where I stand. I was at a point where I wanted to work in a role that is offering support to others in terms of developing themselves. I am better one on one than large groups and I have to be somewhere with facilities. For example 5 years ago I qualified as a personal trainer. I wanted to use exercise to help others develop themselves not just their weight/fitness etc. To me exercise is so much more.

However I have never done anything with it. Part of me wishes I had. Sport has always been a big part of my life and I know it can help with a lot of things. Due to confidence and self-esteem I doubt I will ever go down that route.

So I ended up signing up for a Counselling course, which I am doing now. It seemed like a good option, but as mentioned in the above it involves a lot of interaction in terms of conversing. It is harder than I imagined. So this I am having doubts with.

The volunteer work is for 1 hour on one day and 2 hours on another. It only runs for 8-10 weeks and won't know if it will be long term. So it isn't actually a lot, well to me it feels like it. In theory this volunteer work is something I have wanted to do previously. Combining exercise with self-development for children. It is ideal. However again I am shocked at how difficult it is.

I am scared if I quit the course it will send me in to a negative place and it will cause friction with family. I have not mentioned any of my struggles or anxiety, because with them there is never any place for it. If I quit I will feel like a let down and that I can't manage much.

It is really hard. I want to get back in to employment and earn a living, this course and volunteer work was to build experience and confidence. Oh I don't know anymore.

• So your volunteering is 3 hrs a week for a further 6-8 weeks. I think if you can keep going just until it gets to that point you would feel so much better about yourself and it just gives you more of a chance to see if you think you have made self improvement.

you didn't say how long the counselling course lasts but again if it's just a matter of weeks rather than months I think it's worth trying to keep going. However I still think 2 new things at once is a lot. Even if you don't go directly into counselling, you can use what you do learn in other things. I would really appreciate someone like you, who is keen on sport, health and development working with me. That is one of the things I really need. So if you think you could I think it's worth looking at that again. Personal Trainer/coach..(maybe even shadow someone already doing it) it is personal but it's practical too. So the emphasis is on the practical. Counselling needs a lot of intuition, body language skills, confidence, knowledge, life experience.. it's a lot more than following the rules in the book and expecting the client to talk. My advice would be to hang on in there if you can, learn as much as you can, listen and talk to fellow volunteers and students and see how you feel in a few weeks time. there any YouTube videos on counselling training and teaching exercise so some of those might help. Keep asking and posting on here too. 

• Sorry Smile5 I replied straight away but it doesn’t seem to be here. I haven’t got the energy to reply in detail now, I’ll reply again tomorrow. Most frustrating when you write and think you’ve posted and it just disappears. But yes hanging by a thread describes things for me too. 

• I can see where your coming from with regards to giving yourself permission to not do all the things you had been doing over time to fit in. I guess in one sense it can be helpful to take the pressure off, however don't you struggle with being isolated? I know the feeling of putting on the mask and needing alone time to recover, but I still need some kind of interaction.

Oh family time. I struggle with this. I can maybe see one sibling a few times a year and even then I struggle to interact. I also see my nephew, but again I cannot take too much time with them. A day is enough. 

I feel less stressed now I am not doing the counselling course. A pressure has been lifted. I guess now I am still in the phase of trying to work out what happens next. I am still doing the volunteering and I appreciate that it gives me something to do, but I am still struggling with the interaction. Feel like I am not involved enough. I do better when its one on one with the children.

In reality I should just focus on this round of volunteering, but I am also worried that when it comes to an end I will be left with nothing. I do very little with my time. I literally go to a local café for about 30 mins, do some food shopping and that is it. I do try to exercise some of the days.

I find the isolation and limited time with activities affects my moods and I struggle each day. I feel like I am hanging by a thread.

• It does feel weird but since my diagnosis I have become more of a recluse. I’ve given myself permission not to do all those things I was struggling to do to fit in I suppose it’s an adjustment period. The energy to get out & about is debilitating at times but the last few weeks I’ve been ill on top of that. Slowly getting better. But then once out and about if it’s groceries or certain other things the mask goes on and generally interaction is hard too.. I can seem to be ok but then absolutely shattered when I get home so hibernate to recover. The hardest time is when family are up and there isn’t sufficient recovery time between the days. The last few days I’ve actually managed to do a bit more accepting I’m still convalescing. How has the volunteering gone this week? Did you find a way to help without getting as stressed? Are you feeling relieved now you’re not putting yourself under pressure to do the counselling course? Hope you will give yourself a space not to worry til this session of the volunteering is finished. 

• Good description, there is definitely something about always showing the 'coping mask'. Been doing it for so long, everyone around me says how confident I am and that I will do good at anything I touch. Sadly that isn't the case hence years of unemployment, never been in a relationship, struggling to function everyday etc. It can make it hard for others to see if you always have a mask on.

• That is ok, you didn't need to have any answers. I appreciate you sharing your own experience and I can totally relate to not being able to shake off the feelings of failure. I hope that in time you can accept that you are doing the best you can. Sometimes that is all we can ask for.

• Hi, it sounds like you have a variety of things you enjoy. I am sorry to hear that the amount of tasks you have to do and your lack of energy is causing anxiety and pressure. How have the past few days been?

I can imagine that being newly diagnosed (a year ago for yourself) can impact on you and how you are around others. Do you feel since the diagnosis that you are finding situations more difficult? Is it the interactions with others or finding the energy to get out and about?

I hope things have been ok these past few days and you are not too stressed. Sometimes it is taking things slowly.

• It's very difficult to explain to family, they don't seem to "get it" at all and mostly ignore it. Perhaps your folks might start to take your issues more seriously instead of clucking and platitudes, kind and well meaning as they might be  I suppose we have to adjust what we call achieve..and how we want to achieve. You can be successful and good at something but still not achieved what it is you intended or wanted. In your case you clearly have broad interests.. art music craft gardening and animals. You have a home which you share with your partner. And you have got some sort of routine. So you have building blocks in place. Which you have stepped up to by posting on instagram again. You will feel in limbo because you are waiting for your asd assessment and trying to come to terms with you are probably adhd as well. So you have achieved quite a lot just not yet nec what you hoped. Yes my attempts with people frequently backfire, I've never shaken off the feelings of failure the things I managed I scraped through so have mixed feelings about. And yes my communication has deteriorated significantly over the last year or so. I think things will change slowly for us all hopefully in positive ways. They are big things to discover and learn about as older people and it takes a lot of time and energy to do that. I've just been looking at the ehlers *** again and don't know if I can face saying to my Gp " look at this see how many connections I have with this" too much too much.. It all makes me feel quite anxious because I want to be positive and proactive but my body and head just doesn't seem ready.

• May they can’t see that you are struggling because your coping mask is too good.....? Maybe they know you need help but don’t know how too? 

• I don’t think that you have failed Spotty......you have just set your bar far too high.......I do the same....I work and try too hard and a, too self critical.....with the ASD and because I don’t fit in I overcompensate and try to do too much to be accepted .

can you explain to your folks how you feel....in a letter ,maybe, or email? 

• I've missed so many threads over the weekend that now I've sort of caught up I can't remember what was where!  This is all interesting reading and there are lots of parallels to my meagre existence.  A few weeks ago my parents, well, Mum and Step Dad visited and they were sitting here in my studio making encouraging noises about all the work on the walls and 'we should try x y and z and how I'm so good at quite a few things etc...  I kind of lost it (not in an angry way) and said that is exactly why I'm finding out about all this ASD/ADHD stuff; I'm talented creatively, I know that, but I'm nearly fifty years old and have nothing - have achieved nothing.

I think that may have finally hit home with them as last time we visited them they seemed much more accepting and gently encouraging. I've done so many things over the years to try and build up my confidence and cope with people, most of it has backfired ultimately and now it seems like time to make peace with who I am and stop trying to get fixed.  I don't feel broken like I did before but I haven't lost the feelings of failure, in fact they are worse with regard to communication lately.

I think we will all get somewhere in the end as self awareness must help and we are all still trying to find a way have a positive life.  That's not exactly any answers is it?

• The number of tasks waiting and my lack of energy does create anxiety and pressure but it also probably provides me with a safe reason not to go out into the world at the moment. I pace myself on days that I can so do bits and pieces then rest. Some days it's all rest. Some days I can get out and about.  I'm taking pleasure in restoring my rooms after I had some work and decorating done. I'm trying to be more organised with how I arrange things. I go see my dad 2 or 3 times a week, we help each other and we go out for occasional rides and short walks. I like taking photos of nature, I have a room full of craft projects to start and finish ( most organising from clutter to be done there!). I have a guinea pig. I used to listen to a lot of audiobooks whilst knitting but don't have much focus for either but it'll come back. I have other interests too but not all accessible due to health or anxiety oh and expense!  I do have a few good friends but don't see them much. I have read that it's quite common when newly diagnosed that people shut themselves off. I just realised it's nearly a year now.. I am putting wheels in motion for change .. will see what comes of it! 

• I really feel for you and how you have faced the struggle of trying to reach aspirations that you hoped to experience. I guess you have to start off small. I know even that can seem like a big task. Please don't feel bad that it is taking you a long time to get your house in order. From experience it seems that even with the best intentions things can take a lot longer than hoped. I am not sure if you feel the same, but these days any task seems to add pressure and anxiety. Have you anything that keeps you occupied during the course of the day? Anyone you can spend time with that isn't too anxiety provoking? Do you have anything you find pleasure in? Sorry for the questions, just wondered if it would help to try and think about options. I know it doesn't take away the fact of still having these desires. I know for myself they are hard to let go of.

• Yes I agree, I didn't use the phrase lightly it's just a sort of mindfulness way to help myself. I haven't quite settled for nothing though it might seem so from the outside. I too had aspirations of job, husband,travel and even though I'm 55 I still do in the back of my mind. Though I have traveled a bit with support from family. However I have been padding against the tide for many years and like you said completely lost trust &confidence in myself and sadly in other people (with a few exceptions). I have started over again so many times I have lost count and now don't seem to be able to at all. Like Spotty said a craft class just for me would be a place to start but haven't even been able to do that. I had a volunteering role set up but balked at it and didn't follow through. I am just very slowly trying to put my house in order so that it's easier to look after once I start to do things but it's taking a long time. Change, upset and things get in the way! So I very much admire your willingness to put yourself out there volunteering etc one or a few steps at a time. 

• Thank you both for your replies and sharing your own experiences. I am sorry that you both have difficulties with different aspects, especially fitting in. I hear what you are both saying and you have a good way of seeing it. "we are where we are". I struggle with this majorly. I feel I just have never got anywhere. I have desires and sometimes that includes functioning at a level where I can be employed, be in a relationship, travel etc. However it is something I feel may not happen. I have so many anxieties around different things and over the years of different experiences have totally lost any confidence. Perhaps for now I just have to stick with volunteer work and see where that goes.

• Dear Smile, I'm not surprised you're feeling negative, the stress of trying so hard is very great. Are you able to feel any relief at having removed yourself from at least some of the stress? I have long experience of trying different further education courses, trying to find a place in life. Some I've stuck with, some not. I'm 'meant' to be doing one now! But since I started wondering about being autistic a few weeks ago I feel I don't need the extra strain. Even those I have done well with I look back upon negatively because I can see that I must have been a pain in the neck to be around and teach. At the moment I'm in a position to take a step back from things and try to ease up a bit, maybe be a bit more realistic about my capabilities. Anyway, enough about me; please try not to think of your decision to withdraw from the counselling course as a failure. As Misfit says below,(amongst a lot of other wise words)  "we are where we are", and you're not alone.

• Dear Smile, I'm not surprised you're feeling negative, the stress of trying so hard is very great. Are you able to feel any relief at having removed yourself from at least some of the stress? I have long experience of trying different further education courses, trying to find a place in life. Some I've stuck with, some not. I'm 'meant' to be doing one now! But since I started wondering about being autistic a few weeks ago I feel I don't need the extra strain. Even those I have done well with I look back upon negatively because I can see that I must have been a pain in the neck to be around and teach. At the moment I'm in a position to take a step back from things and try to ease up a bit, maybe be a bit more realistic about my capabilities. Anyway, enough about me; please try not to think of your decision to withdraw from the counselling course as a failure. As Misfit says below,(amongst a lot of other wise words)  "we are where we are", and you're not alone.

Children
  • Sorry Smile5 I replied straight away but it doesn’t seem to be here. I haven’t got the energy to reply in detail now, I’ll reply again tomorrow. Most frustrating when you write and think you’ve posted and it just disappears. But yes hanging by a thread describes things for me too. 

• I can see where your coming from with regards to giving yourself permission to not do all the things you had been doing over time to fit in. I guess in one sense it can be helpful to take the pressure off, however don't you struggle with being isolated? I know the feeling of putting on the mask and needing alone time to recover, but I still need some kind of interaction.

Oh family time. I struggle with this. I can maybe see one sibling a few times a year and even then I struggle to interact. I also see my nephew, but again I cannot take too much time with them. A day is enough. 

I feel less stressed now I am not doing the counselling course. A pressure has been lifted. I guess now I am still in the phase of trying to work out what happens next. I am still doing the volunteering and I appreciate that it gives me something to do, but I am still struggling with the interaction. Feel like I am not involved enough. I do better when its one on one with the children.

In reality I should just focus on this round of volunteering, but I am also worried that when it comes to an end I will be left with nothing. I do very little with my time. I literally go to a local café for about 30 mins, do some food shopping and that is it. I do try to exercise some of the days.

I find the isolation and limited time with activities affects my moods and I struggle each day. I feel like I am hanging by a thread.

• It does feel weird but since my diagnosis I have become more of a recluse. I’ve given myself permission not to do all those things I was struggling to do to fit in I suppose it’s an adjustment period. The energy to get out & about is debilitating at times but the last few weeks I’ve been ill on top of that. Slowly getting better. But then once out and about if it’s groceries or certain other things the mask goes on and generally interaction is hard too.. I can seem to be ok but then absolutely shattered when I get home so hibernate to recover. The hardest time is when family are up and there isn’t sufficient recovery time between the days. The last few days I’ve actually managed to do a bit more accepting I’m still convalescing. How has the volunteering gone this week? Did you find a way to help without getting as stressed? Are you feeling relieved now you’re not putting yourself under pressure to do the counselling course? Hope you will give yourself a space not to worry til this session of the volunteering is finished. 

• Good description, there is definitely something about always showing the 'coping mask'. Been doing it for so long, everyone around me says how confident I am and that I will do good at anything I touch. Sadly that isn't the case hence years of unemployment, never been in a relationship, struggling to function everyday etc. It can make it hard for others to see if you always have a mask on.

• That is ok, you didn't need to have any answers. I appreciate you sharing your own experience and I can totally relate to not being able to shake off the feelings of failure. I hope that in time you can accept that you are doing the best you can. Sometimes that is all we can ask for.

• Hi, it sounds like you have a variety of things you enjoy. I am sorry to hear that the amount of tasks you have to do and your lack of energy is causing anxiety and pressure. How have the past few days been?

I can imagine that being newly diagnosed (a year ago for yourself) can impact on you and how you are around others. Do you feel since the diagnosis that you are finding situations more difficult? Is it the interactions with others or finding the energy to get out and about?

I hope things have been ok these past few days and you are not too stressed. Sometimes it is taking things slowly.

• It's very difficult to explain to family, they don't seem to "get it" at all and mostly ignore it. Perhaps your folks might start to take your issues more seriously instead of clucking and platitudes, kind and well meaning as they might be  I suppose we have to adjust what we call achieve..and how we want to achieve. You can be successful and good at something but still not achieved what it is you intended or wanted. In your case you clearly have broad interests.. art music craft gardening and animals. You have a home which you share with your partner. And you have got some sort of routine. So you have building blocks in place. Which you have stepped up to by posting on instagram again. You will feel in limbo because you are waiting for your asd assessment and trying to come to terms with you are probably adhd as well. So you have achieved quite a lot just not yet nec what you hoped. Yes my attempts with people frequently backfire, I've never shaken off the feelings of failure the things I managed I scraped through so have mixed feelings about. And yes my communication has deteriorated significantly over the last year or so. I think things will change slowly for us all hopefully in positive ways. They are big things to discover and learn about as older people and it takes a lot of time and energy to do that. I've just been looking at the ehlers *** again and don't know if I can face saying to my Gp " look at this see how many connections I have with this" too much too much.. It all makes me feel quite anxious because I want to be positive and proactive but my body and head just doesn't seem ready.

• May they can’t see that you are struggling because your coping mask is too good.....? Maybe they know you need help but don’t know how too? 

• I don’t think that you have failed Spotty......you have just set your bar far too high.......I do the same....I work and try too hard and a, too self critical.....with the ASD and because I don’t fit in I overcompensate and try to do too much to be accepted .

can you explain to your folks how you feel....in a letter ,maybe, or email? 

• I've missed so many threads over the weekend that now I've sort of caught up I can't remember what was where!  This is all interesting reading and there are lots of parallels to my meagre existence.  A few weeks ago my parents, well, Mum and Step Dad visited and they were sitting here in my studio making encouraging noises about all the work on the walls and 'we should try x y and z and how I'm so good at quite a few things etc...  I kind of lost it (not in an angry way) and said that is exactly why I'm finding out about all this ASD/ADHD stuff; I'm talented creatively, I know that, but I'm nearly fifty years old and have nothing - have achieved nothing.

I think that may have finally hit home with them as last time we visited them they seemed much more accepting and gently encouraging. I've done so many things over the years to try and build up my confidence and cope with people, most of it has backfired ultimately and now it seems like time to make peace with who I am and stop trying to get fixed.  I don't feel broken like I did before but I haven't lost the feelings of failure, in fact they are worse with regard to communication lately.

I think we will all get somewhere in the end as self awareness must help and we are all still trying to find a way have a positive life.  That's not exactly any answers is it?

• The number of tasks waiting and my lack of energy does create anxiety and pressure but it also probably provides me with a safe reason not to go out into the world at the moment. I pace myself on days that I can so do bits and pieces then rest. Some days it's all rest. Some days I can get out and about.  I'm taking pleasure in restoring my rooms after I had some work and decorating done. I'm trying to be more organised with how I arrange things. I go see my dad 2 or 3 times a week, we help each other and we go out for occasional rides and short walks. I like taking photos of nature, I have a room full of craft projects to start and finish ( most organising from clutter to be done there!). I have a guinea pig. I used to listen to a lot of audiobooks whilst knitting but don't have much focus for either but it'll come back. I have other interests too but not all accessible due to health or anxiety oh and expense!  I do have a few good friends but don't see them much. I have read that it's quite common when newly diagnosed that people shut themselves off. I just realised it's nearly a year now.. I am putting wheels in motion for change .. will see what comes of it! 

• I really feel for you and how you have faced the struggle of trying to reach aspirations that you hoped to experience. I guess you have to start off small. I know even that can seem like a big task. Please don't feel bad that it is taking you a long time to get your house in order. From experience it seems that even with the best intentions things can take a lot longer than hoped. I am not sure if you feel the same, but these days any task seems to add pressure and anxiety. Have you anything that keeps you occupied during the course of the day? Anyone you can spend time with that isn't too anxiety provoking? Do you have anything you find pleasure in? Sorry for the questions, just wondered if it would help to try and think about options. I know it doesn't take away the fact of still having these desires. I know for myself they are hard to let go of.

• Yes I agree, I didn't use the phrase lightly it's just a sort of mindfulness way to help myself. I haven't quite settled for nothing though it might seem so from the outside. I too had aspirations of job, husband,travel and even though I'm 55 I still do in the back of my mind. Though I have traveled a bit with support from family. However I have been padding against the tide for many years and like you said completely lost trust &confidence in myself and sadly in other people (with a few exceptions). I have started over again so many times I have lost count and now don't seem to be able to at all. Like Spotty said a craft class just for me would be a place to start but haven't even been able to do that. I had a volunteering role set up but balked at it and didn't follow through. I am just very slowly trying to put my house in order so that it's easier to look after once I start to do things but it's taking a long time. Change, upset and things get in the way! So I very much admire your willingness to put yourself out there volunteering etc one or a few steps at a time. 

• Thank you both for your replies and sharing your own experiences. I am sorry that you both have difficulties with different aspects, especially fitting in. I hear what you are both saying and you have a good way of seeing it. "we are where we are". I struggle with this majorly. I feel I just have never got anywhere. I have desires and sometimes that includes functioning at a level where I can be employed, be in a relationship, travel etc. However it is something I feel may not happen. I have so many anxieties around different things and over the years of different experiences have totally lost any confidence. Perhaps for now I just have to stick with volunteer work and see where that goes.