To declare or not to declare at interview

I appear as a 'normie' on first contact and have recently started to declare my ASD at interviews. However, I wonder if this is a good idea because I worry it will give employers the wrong impression about me... but if I don't tell them and problems emerge later...

• I see. Yes, that was where I also thought I should mention it in some way - but I didn't get asked that question or anything similar... Was also quite undecided whether to use the A-word or rather try and describe what the resulting issues are. Guess the advantage of the latter is that it would avoid wrong assumptions but the advantage of calling it autism is that it would possibly allow for getting some help (before any problems start, so possibly preventing problems). Think in many areas where people with autism are likely to work the knowledge is very limited, and the knowledge about this knowledge being very limited is even more limited... Anyway, it didn't happen for me and I wasn't brave enough to just throw it in at the end of the interview, will see what happens.

• I've always mentioned it and it's never really been a problem for me - but then, most of my work in recent years has been in care, so there's often an attraction for employers in that way. 

If you don't mention it at interview stage, or in an application, and you then run into difficulties in the job, it could be an issue.  As Robert said - maybe leave it for the health questionnaire if there's nothing on the application form.  That's confidential, and can't be used against you later.  That would be illegal discrimination.

It's worth bearing in mind that, in some employment situations (like mine), the condition would be seen in a positive light.  Many employers, if they have a proper understanding of ASD at the high-functioning level, would be keen to employ someone who is honest, meticulous, accurate and conscientious - and probably not remotely interested in office politics!  It really depends on what sort of work sector you're looking at.

PS One other point worth mentioning - if you do decide to declare it on the application as a 'disability' (and it depends on how you feel about that), many employers (especially in the public sector, and places like universities) will guarantee you an interview under the Guaranteed Interview Scheme.

• In the "do you have any weaknesses" question.

• Yes, same here. I decided not to, unless there was a question where not telling would be lying. Think my biggest concern is that people would make lots of assumptions what this means but wouldn't actually ask and there wouldn't be enough time to give a useful answer anyway. They didn't ask, so I didn't say anything. I hope it will work out, so far it's going fine. Guess it depends a lot on the kind of environment you end up in and on individuals you work with, the first you do know about a bit, the second it very hard to predict or to figure out quickly... 

How do you actually bring this up? Think even if I had wanted to tell them I wouldn't have found any point during the interviews where it would have fitted.

• I personally would not mention it explicitly.

But when applying by application form, there is often a health questionnaire, and if it asks about autism or disability I would be honest and declare it.