Does anyone want to be part of my book?

Hello

I am 34 years old and on the spectrum. Having worked with people with autism for almost a decade I have come to realise that there is a gap in the market for a book containing a true depiction of the amazing diversity of people on the spectrum through from childhood to old age. I am therefore currently putting together a book and this is where I need your help! I am looking for descriptions of daily life however mundane and personal thoughts. I want to show how diverse a population we are, struggles and achievements, jobs, relationships, marriage, having children, sexuality, dreams, things that make you angry, jealous, intensely happy, views on your passions in life etc....I need as many first hand accounts as possible. Each person's contribution will be roughly half an A4 page and will be completely anonymous. If you would like to be involved or know someone who you think might like to be involved please get in touch. Thank you!

Parents
  • It's an interesting idea, but of those of us who do manage to speak sometimes I think it would be hard to whittle our experience down to half a side of A4! Also, many/some of us do not have an official diagnosis, does that matter to you, it may allow discreditation of your proposed book and that is a whole can of worms by itself...

• It's an interesting idea, but of those of us who do manage to speak sometimes I think it would be hard to whittle our experience down to half a side of A4! Also, many/some of us do not have an official diagnosis, does that matter to you, it may allow discreditation of your proposed book and that is a whole can of worms by itself...

Children
  • Ah yes thanks Spotty tortoise. It would need to be those of the community who are able to put down their thoughts either n paper or verbally so unfortunately some people may not be able to (or want to). People with a diagnosis or not are invited. It is really meant to be an exert from a day of your choice, what you did and your running thoughts through that day however mundane or exciting. I just feel there is not a lot out that that depicts typical days of those with autism through into middle age and beyond. I feel that having autism is just 1 component of each person's daily life and it will therefore be an exciting and diverse collection of days and thoughts from a diverse population. Hope that makes sense!