Deciding whether to get a diagnosis.

Hi everybody, I am not sure which section to post this in. I am currently a mature uni student in Nottingham. I have always thought, responded to and interacted with people differently to most. Until recently I had no idea why this was, but since starting university numerous people have either asked if I am on the autistic spectrum or just assumed that I am. Over the summer holidays I decided to do some proper research into it and talked about it to friends who are on the spectrum. It would be an understatement to say it explains a LOT. From my research it would appear to be aspergers, though online information has been somewhat inconsistent. I think it went unnoticed for a very long time as I have physical health problems that prevented me being able to do much of anything for many years.

Leading to the main question as to whether I should get a diagnosis. I am at this stage about 95% certain that I am on the spectrum, it just explains too many things from difficulties in social interactions, body language to what I used to view as personality quirks. Ultimately if I am on the spectrum it is part of who I am and nothing can change that. I find life very difficult but I am coping so I don’t know if a diagnosis will be of any benefit to me.

However my main concern is that a diagnosis could result in a lot of long term negatives/problems. Partly due to poor understanding or misinterpretation of health problems that exist in the general population. I brought up considering diagnosis with my GP and he said that a diagnosis could limit my ability to access work and could close doors for me as it would have to go on any medical reports. I have friends who think that what the GP has said is completely wrong and think I should try and get a diagnosis. I have found information online to be somewhat inconsistent and incomplete.

It would be really helpful to get some more viewpoints and find out about the personal experiences of others before I decide whether or not to get a diagnosis. Thank you

Parents
  • My initial reaction is try to talk to somebody neutral like the disability support team at your university and/or disability employment advisor at the job centre; both may be able to offer you both advice and support for you to make an informed decision. Your Gp has offered quite a negative view, I don't know if they are right or not. As an alternative point of view it could be to your advantage because should you find yourself struggling you may be able to get adjustments to help you. And you may be able to start right now in the uni whilst you study. You mentioned friends on the Spectrum.. has it affected ( positively/negatively) their job opportunities or employment? It's a very personal decision and I suppose it depends on how much strain there is in coping now and if you are able to help prevent possible future difficulties. Whether diagnosed or not quite a few people on this forum are in employment or self employed so there may be other threads about it. 

• My initial reaction is try to talk to somebody neutral like the disability support team at your university and/or disability employment advisor at the job centre; both may be able to offer you both advice and support for you to make an informed decision. Your Gp has offered quite a negative view, I don't know if they are right or not. As an alternative point of view it could be to your advantage because should you find yourself struggling you may be able to get adjustments to help you. And you may be able to start right now in the uni whilst you study. You mentioned friends on the Spectrum.. has it affected ( positively/negatively) their job opportunities or employment? It's a very personal decision and I suppose it depends on how much strain there is in coping now and if you are able to help prevent possible future difficulties. Whether diagnosed or not quite a few people on this forum are in employment or self employed so there may be other threads about it. 

Children
No Data