This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Environment - What Might Help

Hi,

I wondered if it might be interesting to discuss environment. By this I mean how this could affect us both positively or create difficulties. 

My understanding is ASD is genetic (do correct me if I'm wrong), but I also think there are important contributory environmental factors. My reason for thinking this is only based on my personal experience. 

There have been times in my life where I've felt centered (sp?), as if there was an equilibrium and at I was at peace. Free of autism. These have been sustained periods, years. I'm not describing these times to be free of problems either. 

But my environment, overall, felt like a good match to me. I'm thinking about my time when I lived in South Africa (7 - 8 years) as an adult. 

I realise that I strive for simplicity and a frugal lifestyle. Currently I live in London and run my own business (art). I have quite a lot of responsibilities but generally I'm okay with those but what can upset the balance is if my home foundation is not right. 

For me, that is the start point. The types of things I put high value on include aesthetics, quietness, being outdoors, nature and my dog. But at the same time feeling as if I'm part of a community and contributing. I probably describe a rural life and that's what I'm trying to achieve. 

I'm interested to hear your own experiences. 

• Dear all community users,

The moderators have decided to lock this conversation as it is contravening the rules of the community:

'Rule 4 - Be nice to one another and enjoy chatting with others. We encourage conversation and respectful debate; however, insulting posts or comments making personal jibes will not be tolerated.'

Please note that the moderators are here to help and support all community users. If you would like to report any issues or if you have any questions about anything that is said on the community then you are welcome to contact us: community.manager@nas.org.uk 

We want to encourage a positive and an accepting community and rely on you, the community members, for this.

Thank you for your understanding.

• Nooooooooooo! I had the same thoughts storming through my head this morning.......

Did say to myself that I was going to keep off the forum today...

• Definitely not feeling safe or comfortable on here at the moment. Maybe time for me to have a break too. 

• Any environment has a series of ethical and environment elements...any environment is multi-faceted as it may support a multitude of functions (some spaces only one or two, others many)....

The environment may have to be relaxing or expressive depending on its purpose...it may be a place of refuge or expression.  As a place of refuge...the ethical elements also come into the fray..in that the environment should feel safe and those residing should be able to express themselves fully in that said environment.

At present, Misfit61's environmental preference, I can imagine, to misquote Dirty Dancing...is NOT to be in the corner of the room.

There is nothing wrong with your intention, or your message....tis the method and language used which can cause offence

1. Demanding to know if I genuinely had been diagnosed and the requiring the credentials of the person who diagnosed me is definitely private and is overstepping the mark reading my profile was not.  Me starting a thread which I genuinely wanted to know about and you accusing me of putting myself in Toms place does suggest you thought I was fabricating my situation.  Me trying to answer your positive thread by demanding my credentials wasn't necessary. "I've not said that you lie or fabricate" those issues have some appearance in your life I suspect .. the lying and fabrication or difficulty with imagination and visualisation which according to you isn't part of Aspergers but was in fact "evidence" of being on the spectrum. Perhaps it is unfortunate that I perceive your manner as less than peaceful. I should not feel I have to expose my privacy in the way you seem to require I know who diagnosed me and what their credentials are and that is enough. And thank you x for the diagram which does explain very well the spectrum. 
  • Hi X

I fully agree but these aren't environmental issues, instead ethical ones. They form the backbone of this community and outside. I have not breached any of these points.

JEP

• In terms of your topic title - "environment ....what might help"

How about the following...

• Respect for privacy 
    • Freedom of thought, and belief: you can believe what you like and practise your beliefs.
    • Free speech: you have a right to speak freely and join with others peacefully, to express your views.
    • No discrimination: everyone’s rights are equal. You should not be treated unfairly – because, for example, of your gender, race, disability, sexuality, religion or age.
  • I should realise that I'm treading on egg shells. This was intended to be a positive thread. At the same time when I started this I noticed Misfit had replied to another thread, titled "Not Imagining and Visualising''. 

I replied because it did not make sense. And without explaining this I then brought that thought to this thread. 

Misfit - I've not said that you lie or fabricate. Those issues have some appearance in your life I suspect, but did not come from me. 

Your personal details are on your profile, it's open for Members to view. So I have not overstepped a mark as you said. 

I've not been unkind either. All I have tried to gain is clarity, make sense. 

But have met a defensive reaction. 

• Like that?

• Sounds reasonable to me...but what are your credentials capers123 ( :P )? ...JEP's views are ".... only based on (her) personal experience..." and she has invited us to "...correct...if...wrong"

• Thanks Capers123 a bit of colour therapy works wonders

• JEP said:
    autistic nearest to hf/a

Seems reasonable to me, given that ASD is not a linear scale. 

I tend to think of it as at least a 3D scale, or a colour spectrum where one can have different levels of each colour/trait.  Therefore 'autistic nearest to hf/a' would be the colour closest to yellowey-orange, where HFA is yellow and Asperger's is Red. 

Truth be told, it's probably at least 4 dimentional.

• I do not lie. I do not fabricate. Personal details of my formal diagnosis are not your business and think you have rather overstepped the mark. 

• Apologies you are obviously a superior being who is not to be criticised in any shape, way or form.

You have caused (intentionally or otherwise) offence and upset to other parties on this forum and seem driven to belittle and undermine others, their validity and their worth.  I don't think that this is what the community is all about.....but what would I know...I don't have any credentials either...and would probably not be fit enough to be something that you may find on the sole of your shoe. My loss, I guess...

Best of luck JEP and I hope that you find people in this broad and diverse community of genuine...just steer clear of us fraudsters.

good luck

• What do my credentials have to do with this? If necessary I will describe

• And what are yours?

• Well it's not professional - what's their credentials?

• Yes I do have a formal diagnosis. Well it was the language of the eminent professional I saw.... 

• Do you mind me asking a question Misfit61? 

Have you got a formal diagnosis of ASD? On your profile you wrote:

'autistic nearest to hf/as'. That's not professional terminology at all. 

• JEP said:
    he types of things I put high value on include aesthetics, quietness, being outdoors, nature and my dog. But at the same time feeling as if I'm part of a community and contributing. I probably describe a rural life and that's what I'm trying to achieve. 

This for me is also the environment I feel most in tune and less stressed by noise and busy ness. I know that in areas of South Africa and NewZealand for example the whole culture is very different to here. Lifestyle is much more outdoors and even schools are run so that plenty of outdoors time is encouraged. . I call it my green time.