Choosing the most suitable job

I am struggling a bit with my current job (it has a wide range of tasks some of which I am better at doing than others) and it might come to and end anyway due to budget cuts.  I am looking in to the possibility of what to do next if my job disappears.  I have looked on the Internet and have found useful articles like this:

"Choosing the Right Job for People with Autism or Asperger's Syndrome"

https://www.iidc.indiana.edu/?pageId=596

Can anyone tell me if there is a web page which would ask a list of questions, analyse the answers and suggest the best match job that I could do, please? I realise that I might have to do a training course, I couldn't do more than one year.

Parents
  • I'd like something similar for SD16. Not yet found it.

My question is what are you competent at and of the things you find difficult, are there any reasonable adjustment via technology or working practices that could let you adapt?

An example, one of my friends gets to work in an outlying office 3 days a week because he has poor noise tolerance and because he uses voice software for report writing. The main office has set up a phone divert to his mobile on those days.

Another example, for me I'm good at process problem solving but I'm useless at verbal instructions so most staff know to email me with anything they need me to do. If it's a very senior manager I will send a summary of what I think they've asked me to do at a meeting and they know to either agree it or correct it by return email Turned out the one manager with nasty intentions towards me tried to say I was not following instructions and was unreliable, until her boss laughed and pointed out that if she hadn't corrected me in writing then it was her problem not mine... because he had received the summary emails during another project and he could not fault my systems for ensuring projects were clear.

Funny how I've stayed and she was asked to leave

• Thanks for that QuirkyFriend. I'm useless at verbal instructions as well.  I was diagnosed as being on the Autistic Spectrum in the past year. I am not finding it easy getting my employer to make adjustments. I don't want to give too much away about what I do and where I do it, in case it upsets my employer. I also have a long commute to work (about one and a half hours), have problems of fatigue (due to early starts and poor sleeping) and would like to move in with my partner who lives in a relatively distant town. I have applied for jobs there similar to what I do just now, but have been unsuccessful. So I just looking at a possible fresh start possibly doing a different type of job.

If I go in to the link that I posted, I would fall in to "Table 3 Good Jobs for Non-Visual Thinkers: Those who are good at math, music or facts" (not music in my case). These type of jobs are sought after so the fact that I have a science degree and have work experience in the science / technical area would not guarantee me one.

Alternatively I could be categorised as being in Table 4 "Jobs for Nonverbal People with Autism or People with Poor Verbal Skills". I am in my fifties so I doubt if I will ever have a sparkling career. I am used to living a frugal life, so I could live quite comfortably on maybe 10000 pounds per year. I suppose that at the end of the day that all depends on what jobs are available in the town that I want to live in, and would it be worth the time and expense training for a job that I would like to do (but might not get) or just trying to get whatever job is available (although some entry level type jobs such as call centre work, I have found to be problematic).

I had hoped that a link to a web page which would ask a list of questions, analyse the answers and suggest the best match job that I could do, might throw up a job that I had never thought about doing, but would suit me well and I could proceed from there. But I'll keep on looking and seeking advice.

• Thanks for that QuirkyFriend. I'm useless at verbal instructions as well.  I was diagnosed as being on the Autistic Spectrum in the past year. I am not finding it easy getting my employer to make adjustments. I don't want to give too much away about what I do and where I do it, in case it upsets my employer. I also have a long commute to work (about one and a half hours), have problems of fatigue (due to early starts and poor sleeping) and would like to move in with my partner who lives in a relatively distant town. I have applied for jobs there similar to what I do just now, but have been unsuccessful. So I just looking at a possible fresh start possibly doing a different type of job.

If I go in to the link that I posted, I would fall in to "Table 3 Good Jobs for Non-Visual Thinkers: Those who are good at math, music or facts" (not music in my case). These type of jobs are sought after so the fact that I have a science degree and have work experience in the science / technical area would not guarantee me one.

Alternatively I could be categorised as being in Table 4 "Jobs for Nonverbal People with Autism or People with Poor Verbal Skills". I am in my fifties so I doubt if I will ever have a sparkling career. I am used to living a frugal life, so I could live quite comfortably on maybe 10000 pounds per year. I suppose that at the end of the day that all depends on what jobs are available in the town that I want to live in, and would it be worth the time and expense training for a job that I would like to do (but might not get) or just trying to get whatever job is available (although some entry level type jobs such as call centre work, I have found to be problematic).

I had hoped that a link to a web page which would ask a list of questions, analyse the answers and suggest the best match job that I could do, might throw up a job that I had never thought about doing, but would suit me well and I could proceed from there. But I'll keep on looking and seeking advice.

Children
No Data