Autism and Waiting

Hi,

I have a really hard time waiting for things. I can handle waiting small times like 5 minutes but anything longer than 20 I struggle. Long waits are especially difficult. For example, I am waiting for the outcome of my ECHP and whether I get one or not and I am constantly on the verge of a meltdown with all the uncertainty and waiting. I am trying to get an NHS wheelchair - more waiting. Seeing whether social care can help me, MORE waiting. I am not coping and I'm always anxious and fretting. 

Is anyone else like this? How can I be more patient and not stress so much about waiting?

Thanks

Parents
  • I've had a lot of experience waiting for NHS appointments, mainly for things related to my hEDS and I waited 15 months for my autism assessment. Distraction works best for me, whatever I am interested in (currently a certain PS4 game) or for much shorter waits, I sort of use mindfulness.

• Distraction can be good yeah - I really enjoy games too. You don't have to answer this, but who diagnosed your hEDS? It's just that I am still diagnosis searching and I think either hEDS or kEDS would be a good fit for me. Finding people with good knowledge of EDS is surprisingly hard.

• My GP referred me to a rheumatologist after I printed out NHS pages on Joint Hypermobility Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos and showed my GP, who said 'I think we're finally getting somewhere'. EDS UK have helped me alot too. Best of luck! Feel free to ask me anything else about it.

• My GP referred me to a rheumatologist after I printed out NHS pages on Joint Hypermobility Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos and showed my GP, who said 'I think we're finally getting somewhere'. EDS UK have helped me alot too. Best of luck! Feel free to ask me anything else about it.

Children