Stimming

Hi all. I'm quite new here. I'm a 51 year old female, currently self-diagnosed relying on scoring 41 on the AQ50, and the testimonies of close friends who have known me all my life. I have been refered for dx by my gp and am currently awaiting an assessment. My question is this: many of the autistic teens I work with openly stim, either by rocking or twirling/flapping hands. But I never see or hear of adults stimming. Is it something that can be 'grown out of' or do adults just do it behind closed doors. I personally do flap my hands but I am aware of it and stop myself if in public. If I get stressed while out I play a game on my phone or bite my nails.

Parents
  •  I'm not sure what the border and difference is between ADHD-stimming (to be able to concentrate) and ASD-stimming which happens in social situations and stress,  I don't know for what purpose. In order to concentrate, especially when socially stressed, I do stuff like pulling my sleeves continuously, fiddling with rings, bracelets (which I wear for that purpose). notice I sometimes do fiddle and rub my face in social stress situations? Sometimes the two overlap?

•  I'm not sure what the border and difference is between ADHD-stimming (to be able to concentrate) and ASD-stimming which happens in social situations and stress,  I don't know for what purpose. In order to concentrate, especially when socially stressed, I do stuff like pulling my sleeves continuously, fiddling with rings, bracelets (which I wear for that purpose). notice I sometimes do fiddle and rub my face in social stress situations? Sometimes the two overlap?

Children
No Data