Stimming

Hi all. I'm quite new here. I'm a 51 year old female, currently self-diagnosed relying on scoring 41 on the AQ50, and the testimonies of close friends who have known me all my life. I have been refered for dx by my gp and am currently awaiting an assessment. My question is this: many of the autistic teens I work with openly stim, either by rocking or twirling/flapping hands. But I never see or hear of adults stimming. Is it something that can be 'grown out of' or do adults just do it behind closed doors. I personally do flap my hands but I am aware of it and stop myself if in public. If I get stressed while out I play a game on my phone or bite my nails.

Parents
  • Hi Lellynelly,

I scored 41, too, and was finally diagnosed 2 years ago, aged 56.

I'm not sure if it really adds up to 'stimming', but all of my life I've chewed my tongue when I'm trying to concentrate hard on something (not something I find easy).  If I'm doing something creative, though - writing or Photoshopping - I get completely absorbed for hours on end and usually find, when it's finished, that my tongue is really quite sore! I'm simply not conscious of doing it.

Another thing I do is tap - with my fingernails, with a knife, with a pencil, anything.  I do it without even realising, until someone points it out to me.  This is generally when I'm in situations where I'm feeling anxious - usually when I'm around others, even if I know them well.

When I was younger, I had rituals that I had to go through to release anxiety - things I had to touch, or things I had to say to myself, generally repeating three times.  I still have them to a certain extent, although awareness of them over the years has allowed me to moderate them. 

Interestingly, I have a neighbour - a bit older than I am - who always touches trees when he passes them.  And he plays the castanets in public - just walking along the road!  I always know when he's around, because I hear them.  I asked him about these things and he says they help him to feel less anxious - even though he's drawing attention to himself.  He's never even considered whether they might be autistic behaviour traits.  He says he's done these things all his life. 

I've worked with special needs adults for 12 years now, many of whom are highly autistic - and the hand-flapping and rocking are very common.  There are so many misunderstandings and misconceptions about the autism spectrum, even with people who should know better.  I once saw a psychiatrist at my local CMHT, who dismissed autism altogether on the grounds that I wasn't rocking or hand-flapping!  I'm sure stimming must take many forms.

Best regards,

Tom

• I'm not sure if what I do counts as stimming.

I chew a cotton handkerchief, for hours, but only in private.  In public people would ridicule me.

I have never flapped my arms.  But lying in bed while reading or on the internet, I keep flick my feet from side to side.

I find it relaxing and since there is no one to object, I won't change.

• I'm not sure if what I do counts as stimming.

I chew a cotton handkerchief, for hours, but only in private.  In public people would ridicule me.

I have never flapped my arms.  But lying in bed while reading or on the internet, I keep flick my feet from side to side.

I find it relaxing and since there is no one to object, I won't change.

Children
No Data