Stimming

Hi all. I'm quite new here. I'm a 51 year old female, currently self-diagnosed relying on scoring 41 on the AQ50, and the testimonies of close friends who have known me all my life. I have been refered for dx by my gp and am currently awaiting an assessment. My question is this: many of the autistic teens I work with openly stim, either by rocking or twirling/flapping hands. But I never see or hear of adults stimming. Is it something that can be 'grown out of' or do adults just do it behind closed doors. I personally do flap my hands but I am aware of it and stop myself if in public. If I get stressed while out I play a game on my phone or bite my nails.

Parents
  • Lellynelly said:

Hi all. I'm quite new here. I'm a 51 year old female, currently self-diagnosed relying on scoring 41 on the AQ50, and the testimonies of close friends who have known me all my life. I have been refered for dx by my gp and am currently awaiting an assessment. My question is this: many of the autistic teens I work with openly stim, either by rocking or twirling/flapping hands. But I never see or hear of adults stimming. Is it something that can be 'grown out of' or do adults just do it behind closed doors. I personally do flap my hands but I am aware of it and stop myself if in public. If I get stressed while out I play a game on my phone or bite my nails.

hello, I am 35 and just got my diagnosis yesterday. I didn't think I stimmed But my mum told the nurse how as a child I'd wrap my arms round myself and do something weird with my leg. I totally forgot but she is right. I did this up until a few years ago when I was sitting next to someone as an adult and they made a comment. I was quite embarrassed and never did it again. It's funny how we forget these things. I know that I do pick or rubbat my skin tho when I feel nervous or stressed. 

• Lellynelly said:

hello, I am 35 and just got my diagnosis yesterday. I didn't think I stimmed But my mum told the nurse how as a child I'd wrap my arms round myself and do something weird with my leg. I totally forgot but she is right. I did this up until a few years ago when I was sitting next to someone as an adult and they made a comment. I was quite embarrassed and never did it again. It's funny how we forget these things. I know that I do pick or rubbat my skin tho when I feel nervous or stressed. 

Children
No Data