Stimming

Hi all. I'm quite new here. I'm a 51 year old female, currently self-diagnosed relying on scoring 41 on the AQ50, and the testimonies of close friends who have known me all my life. I have been refered for dx by my gp and am currently awaiting an assessment. My question is this: many of the autistic teens I work with openly stim, either by rocking or twirling/flapping hands. But I never see or hear of adults stimming. Is it something that can be 'grown out of' or do adults just do it behind closed doors. I personally do flap my hands but I am aware of it and stop myself if in public. If I get stressed while out I play a game on my phone or bite my nails.

Parents
  • Hi Lellynelly 

I'm in the same group as you  at 46 I have my ASD assessement in July 

I used to flap my hands when ever excited or scared depending on my situation from childhood but with a bad childhood I soon learned to stop that with lets say encouragement from my Father 

so now my leg has took over so im told with constant foot tapping with out me even knowing im doing it 

• Hi Lellynelly 

I'm in the same group as you  at 46 I have my ASD assessement in July 

I used to flap my hands when ever excited or scared depending on my situation from childhood but with a bad childhood I soon learned to stop that with lets say encouragement from my Father 

so now my leg has took over so im told with constant foot tapping with out me even knowing im doing it 

Children
No Data