Getting a Job

Isnt it really unfair that employers turn people away because they have HFA or Asperger syndrome?? 

I believe there isnt a lot of support from the UK government when it comes to tackling job employment for the disabled. Would i be right in saying that??

Who on here actually has a part-time or full-time job?

Parents
  • The evidence is clear when it comes to unemployment amongst those with ASD, you just need to look at the NAS's own facts and figures. The anxiety many people with AS face is real and I think it is very circumspect to claim that people with AS are being overly fussy!. Not at all, our anxiety is an obstacle, but make no mistake: most of us, myself included, would love to work. Of course we try, and I try every day. I struggle every day with my anxiety. I simply cannot take most jobs. This is not being fussy, it is the reality of my condition. The jobs I aim for are jobs that I know will not make me too anxious and so this makes it hard for me to get work, because of my asperger's. This is why I have a disability. But I understand that we are all different and people with AS can and do work, but they are a minority. It would be fantastic if more people with ASD can work, but for this to happen employers will have to become more accomodating.

• The evidence is clear when it comes to unemployment amongst those with ASD, you just need to look at the NAS's own facts and figures. The anxiety many people with AS face is real and I think it is very circumspect to claim that people with AS are being overly fussy!. Not at all, our anxiety is an obstacle, but make no mistake: most of us, myself included, would love to work. Of course we try, and I try every day. I struggle every day with my anxiety. I simply cannot take most jobs. This is not being fussy, it is the reality of my condition. The jobs I aim for are jobs that I know will not make me too anxious and so this makes it hard for me to get work, because of my asperger's. This is why I have a disability. But I understand that we are all different and people with AS can and do work, but they are a minority. It would be fantastic if more people with ASD can work, but for this to happen employers will have to become more accomodating.

Children
No Data