Getting a Job

Isnt it really unfair that employers turn people away because they have HFA or Asperger syndrome?? 

I believe there isnt a lot of support from the UK government when it comes to tackling job employment for the disabled. Would i be right in saying that??

Who on here actually has a part-time or full-time job?

Parents
  • However we are back to the question - what is the evidence for people on the spectrum not being given jobs?  As distinct from not wanting jobs unless they are so AS specific that they have little clear benefit to the employer.

A lot of disabled categories have different types of impairment but still get jobs. We have to be careful with the autistic spectrum that we are not ruling out finding conventional employment out of choice not to try.

You need to see this from the Government and employer perspective.  Which groups do you prioritise? Those that fight to overcome their disability and go some way to meet the provisions made, or those who keep saying can't work, won't work unless the conditions are absolutely right.

I'm not denying a lot of unfairness. But we cannot claim we are being excluded from jobs if we do not demonstrate we are trying. As I said further up this thread we need evidence of attempts to get jobs being rebuffed or obstructed.

We cannot do that if the official response is that job opportunities were offered or not taken up, or packed in prematurely. We could make a case if there were barriers such as bullying in the workplace or ineffectual implementation of disability discrimination legislation.

• However we are back to the question - what is the evidence for people on the spectrum not being given jobs?  As distinct from not wanting jobs unless they are so AS specific that they have little clear benefit to the employer.

A lot of disabled categories have different types of impairment but still get jobs. We have to be careful with the autistic spectrum that we are not ruling out finding conventional employment out of choice not to try.

You need to see this from the Government and employer perspective.  Which groups do you prioritise? Those that fight to overcome their disability and go some way to meet the provisions made, or those who keep saying can't work, won't work unless the conditions are absolutely right.

I'm not denying a lot of unfairness. But we cannot claim we are being excluded from jobs if we do not demonstrate we are trying. As I said further up this thread we need evidence of attempts to get jobs being rebuffed or obstructed.

We cannot do that if the official response is that job opportunities were offered or not taken up, or packed in prematurely. We could make a case if there were barriers such as bullying in the workplace or ineffectual implementation of disability discrimination legislation.

Children
No Data